R9 290 Questions

Jack Poole

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014
Hello! Building a gaming PC and I was wondering about the Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X. I was reading some reviews of the plain R9 290 and people said it was loud,hot, and took a large amount of power. Im not too worried about the power(I have a 750 80+ Gold) but I was wonder if the Sapphire Radeon version fixed some of these things, thanks!

Solution
G
Yes the Sapphire will be far better than the reference design.

Pretty much every aftermarket R9 290/290x will beat the reference on noise levels.
The Tri-X from Sapphire is arguably one of the best coolers to get for such a GPU.

The reference design used a standard blower-style heatsink, the Hawaii GPU on the 290 runs extremely hot, so much so that AMD had to come out on launch and state that the ordinary running temp of 95c was 'safe' (I guess I'll take their word for it).
Look up some reviews for that particular version and skip to the temp section, generally, the lower the temp - the quieter the card will be. The fans won't have to spin up as much, which in turn, actually can increase performance because there's far less chance...
G

Yes the Sapphire will be far better than the reference design.

Pretty much every aftermarket R9 290/290x will beat the reference on noise levels.
The Tri-X from Sapphire is arguably one of the best coolers to get for such a GPU.

The reference design used a standard blower-style heatsink, the Hawaii GPU on the 290 runs extremely hot, so much so that AMD had to come out on launch and state that the ordinary running temp of 95c was 'safe' (I guess I'll take their word for it).
Look up some reviews for that particular version and skip to the temp section, generally, the lower the temp - the quieter the card will be. The fans won't have to spin up as much, which in turn, actually can increase performance because there's far less chance of it throttling and most of these modern cards have some kind of boost-by-thermal feature. Room for overclocking too.

The Sapphire will bring the temps down to a much more modest level.

As for power, yes the 290 series do consumer quite a fair bit, I haven't owned one, but from the reviews I've seen (Under max load) it will munch about 260-280w. Sometimes more, really depends on whose doing the review. 750w will be way more than enough though.
Infact, 750w is probably a good area to have, when gaming, you'll probably get rather close to that 50-60% curve where power supplies become their most efficient.

Solution