$1000 Mini-ITX Build With Monitor

TKpro

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Hi,

I am upgrading from my first build, which I did in 2008. The PC has performed and endured well above my expectations and the only things I've upgraded over the life of the computer have been the graphics card and the ram.

If possible, I would like to repeat the feat but this time with a mini-ITX board and case, specifically, the [Corsair d250 mini-ITX case](http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HFRTF5W/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=43901530106&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17654787824689998354&hvpone=84.99&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9szp143ftu_b).

My budget is not super firm but I would like it to be around $1000 including a monitor.

Following some research here and elsewhere, I have come up with this draft build.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($76.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.21 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($179.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS248H-P 24.0" Monitor ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $999.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-13 19:34 EDT-0400

From my understanding, all of these components are from reputable brands and come with good reviews and recommendations.

My main questions are:

1. Is the 250GB SSD worth an extra $45 over the 120GB one?
2. I was also considering this [EVGA superclocked GTX 760](http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=) instead of the [MSI R9 270x](http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127761&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=) above. I play PC games regularly but not seriously. I would like to be able to play new games on or near the highest settings (e.g. Titanfall, Battlefield 4). For reference, I plan on playing using a 24" 1080p 1920x1080 monitor.
3. Speaking of which, does anyone have any experience comparing the [Asus VS248h-P](http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VS248H-P-24-Inch-Full-HD-LED-lit/dp/B0058UUR6E%3FSubscriptionId%3D14H876SFAKFS0EHBYQ02%26tag%3Dttmhp-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB0058UUR6E) in the build above with the [Asus VG248QE](http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313&cm_re=asus_vg248qe-_-24-236-313-_-Product)? It sounds like a significantly better monitor from what I can tell, albeit at a $110 premium. I am basically asking for opinions on if it is worth buying a more expensive but better monitor now and just keeping it for a long time.
4. Do I need any fans or aftermarket coolers for this build? I was thinking I should put two 120mm fans along the side of the d250 case as it has a spot for them. Will that be necessary for this build? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for a cooling system that isn't too expensive (<$50)?
5. I know you aren't supposed to cheap out on the power supply, but this just seems like a really good deal for a solid Corsair PSU. My old power supply was a Corsair HX520 and that thing was a beast, so I would like to stick with Corsair if possible. Will the 450W power supply in the build above do the trick?

Thanks in advance for any and all help regarding my questions and please feel free to give any other advice or recommendations not related to my questions as well.

Rammy

Honorable
1). Depends if you need the extra storage. If you can save money here then push it to graphics.

2). A 270X or GTX760 (or for that matter the 280/285/280X, as they are all within a reasonable distance) are all solid 1080P cards. At your budget level though I'd usually expect more of your money going on graphics - if your priority is gaming then this is where you'll get the most value and longevity.

3) I know very little about monitors. I genuinely have no idea why I have a monitor badge. Mine is held together with ducttape.

4) If you want to overclock, you'll need a CPU cooler. The 250D is very limited in cooler compatibility - it's designed for a slim 240mm radiator (though you can use a 120mm too) like the H100i and not a lot else. If you want good value, then you are better off going with a different case and an air cooler.
If you don't want to overclock then the K-series processor and the Z-series motherboard are a huge waste of money. Again, push funds to graphics.

5) The Corsair CS at that price is pretty good value, but it's not a great PSU. The same applies to a lot of Corsair PSUs right now, so I wouldn't stick with them unless you want to pay over the odds for their decent models.
450W is technically sufficient, but you are usually safer going for something like a 550W as it gives you more options with regards to graphics cards and overclocking. At that wattage level the best models are likely ones with a Seasonic OEM like Antec HCGs, XFX and Seasonic models.

dav_jw

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
1) That really depends on your needs, you have room for quite a few programs and some games on a 120GB, but if you are used to mechanical hard drives you might run out of space quickly. If you put your game and files on the mechanical hard drive, you should be fine with 120GB, unless you have a lot of applications.

2) If you can wait a bit, the series 9 Nvidia cards (Maxwell) should launch soon (no official date yet, but likely before Christmas). Those should be much more efficient than anything else currently on the market, and could be a worthwhile investment for a SFF PC. Otherwise, the Radeon R9 285 (or 280X) will usually outperform the Nvidia 760 and is available for the same price. Any of those should perform very well at 1080p.

3) I used to have the 21" version of the Asus IPS monitor you linked. The main advantage of the VG248QE is its 144Hz refresh rate, which is needed for 3D video (and some games that support 3D). Neither of the card you picked will be able to reach 144 FPS in games, so it might not be worth it for the refresh rate alone, but its latency is probably also lower, which is a notable advantage for gaming. I have no idea which monitor have a better color accuracy, contrast, etc, if that matters to you, you can probably find this information in a review. I can however say that the VS248H-P is a very nice monitor for the price.

4) I would definitely get an aftermarket cooler with an unlocked i5, in case you want to overclock it. I have not much experience with small form factor PC, so I'll let someone else give you a recommendation.

5) CS is the lower-end of Corsair's offerings, where the HX is almost their top of the line. With those parts, I'd recommend spending a bit more for a better unit. See this page for comparisons between brands and models: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

Edit: PSU suggestions: 450W Rosewill Capstone for 50$ : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182261
Or 550W XFX XTR for 70$ : www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207032

TKpro

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Thanks very much for responding.

Rammy, to be honest most of the gaming I do is not particularly performance intensive (League of Legends, Civilization V, etc.), although part of the reason I want to build a new system is so I can play the newer FPS games on high settings. So, I was hoping to strike a balance and have a card that can handle the intense FPS games, but is around $200. I'll check out the 280 series as well.

I am not dead set on overclocking although I am interested in looking into it in the not too distant future. Although, that is what I said when I built my first PC and put a big cpu heatsink/cooler on it and then I never overclocked that, so maybe its just not for me. The primary reason I put the 4690k in the build was that it didn't seem to cost much more than any of the other i5s I was looking at (specifically the i5-4590).

If I am not planning to overclock the computer but want some aftermarket cooling, does anyone have a recommendation for a few fans or other cooler that would fit in the d250? Alternatively, does anyone have a recommendation for a more budget case and cooling system that can fit a full size graphics card?

dav_jw, If I have my games on the mechanical drive, will that make any speed difference while playing? Because if it won't a 120GB SSD will almost certainy meet my needs for booting and a few games, etc.

That is interesting about the series 9 Nvidia cards. I really liked the look of the GTX 750TI, which I believe is a Maxwell card. Maybe I should wait, although its hard to do that once you have definitely decided its upgrade time.

Whenever I do end up doing my build, I will probably just stick with the cheaper monitor. Thanks for the context and recommendation!

Looks like I might want to revisit the power supply question after I make up my mind on the 4690k and motherboard.

Edit: Thanks for the PSU article link and recommendation. Good find!

Rammy

Honorable
Yeah how much graphics power you need is totally dependant on what you play. The 270X is a perfectly competent 1080P gaming card right now, but it's perhaps not got a great lifespan if you want to be playing new games in a year or two at high settings. Given you have a healthy budget, that's why I was suggesting pushing more of it towards here - if you don't feel you need to then you can comfortably chop off a decent chunk and save loads.
The reason I didn't mention the new Nvidia cards is that the first wave will likely be the GTX980 and GTX970, both of which are likely to be above your price and performance needs. The GTX960 or 960Ti or whatever they call it might be a viable option, but it's probably going to be nearer the end of the year. In the past it's been up to 6months+ to trickle out a full product line.

The reason you can save loads by not overclocking is that a suitable cooler for that case is always likely to be closed loop water cooler, usually a H100i or similar ($55-100). Add in the extra cost of a Z97 board ($20-40) and a K-series processor ($30), and any extra cost of memory+PSU (these are usually slightly upgraded on overclocking builds). The total could come to $200 extra.

Case suggestions are tricky as I don't really know what you are going for. You didn't list an optical drive so I'll assume you won't need one. If you want air cooling/flexibility then the Node 304 and Bitfenix Prodigy are the best options, perhaps followed by the new Thermaltake Core V1. The first two can take monster air coolers like the NH-D14 or PH-TC14 but those are an extreme (and costly) solution - does show the kind of options they give you though.

Oh and be aware of the Rosewill Capstone. It's a great quality unit but it's also the longest 450W PSU on the market.
"ATX" is officially 140mm long still, but these days the majority of PSUs exceed this. The Rosewill is 170mm long.
It'll fit in the 250D but most smaller cases are limited to around 160mm in PSU length (double check any case you are interested in) so it's one to watch out for.

TKpro

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Thanks for the follow up Rammy.

I think you are right and that it makes sense to push more money into the graphics card. Which one of the following two would be a better choice?

1. EVGA Superclocked GTX 760: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
2. Sapphire Radeon R9 280x 3GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202046&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

That's good to know about the new Nvidia cards. Plus, it means I don't need to make the hard decision of build now or wait. So, build now it is! =D

Also, it turns out that because of a sale, the i5-4690k is cheaper than both the i5-4690 and i5-4590. Since I would like to order my parts tomorrow I'll just go with the i5-4690k assuming there is no downside to it vs. the 4690 (e.g. the 4690k is actually slower unless you overclock it).

The question then is should I get an H97 motherboard or a Z97? Looking around PC part picker it seems that if I go for an H97 mobo I would get this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gah97nwifi. That would save me $15-$20 over the ASRock Z97, although I really like what I have heard about the ASRock boards and it has a better audio codec. It also could overclock the 4690k if I ever decide I want to push some more juice out of the computer, but since I would need to get a H100i that wouldn't be in the cards from the beginning of this computer (although I could always add in the cooler in a year). If I was not already going with the 4690k I would probably just get the Gigabyte H97, but since I am getting the 4690k it seems worth the extra $15 for the ASRock board.

You are right in that I don't need an optical drive and thanks for the good suggestions on the cases. I had already ruled out the Bitfenix Prodigy but the Thermaltake Core V1 is interesting and I really like the look and sound of the Node 304. So now I am deciding between the Node 304 or the 250d.

Unfortunately the Rosewill Capstone PSU doesn't fit into the Node 304 (Thanks for the heads up!). :( Neither does this EVGA PSU which was an alternate consideration for the 250d: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438026&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=.

However, I did find this Corsair RM550 which I really liked and which fits in the Node 304: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139053&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=. It is $90 though so at least $30 more than the others I am considering. Alternatively, I found this Enermax Revolution X't PSU for $60 which fits in both: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194111&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=. Is this Enermax a good PSU?

So, it seems to me that if I want to keep the option of overclocking open I should go with the 250d and the ASRock Z97 and 4690k in the original build with probably the Rosewill capstone power supply. Then, if I wanted to overclock I could get the Corsair H100i down the line.

If I don't want to keep the overclock option open, I could switch to the Node 304, go for the Gigabyte H97 mobo and use the money saved on the mobo to get the Corsair RM550. Or alternatively, if the Enermax is a good PSU then I could get that and pump the mobo savings all into the better graphics card.

Huang Ray

Reputable
May 3, 2014
If you are not OC it (no Aftermarket cooler), please do not buy the k version of cpu.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.21 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Dual-X Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1001.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-13 23:36 EDT-0400

This is a build (1 dollars and 53 cents more then yours xD ).

TKpro

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Thanks for the build suggestion Huang Ray! Is the 4590 noticeably different from a 4690? If not, I think you and Rammy are probably right and I should save the money on the motherboard and CPU (I guess I was wrong about the 4690k being cheaper than the 4590) and use that towards a better power supply/graphics card.

Is that ASRock H97M better than the Gigabyte H97? Or just cheaper and about the same quality?

Thanks!

Huang Ray

Reputable
May 3, 2014

AsRock H97M is cheaper so I chose that one

Huang Ray

Reputable
May 3, 2014
Also, I read your comment above.

If you want the Node 305, I suggest you use Cooler Master Evo 212 Cpu cooler with 4690k, so you can OC the cpu.

However, in my opinion, Corsair 250d has better look with windows on top and also has better cable management.

dav_jw

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
With a budget like that, personally, I'd spend the extra 40$ to get the 4690K and Z97 MB. For now, there won't be any major difference in performance, especially in games, but you'll have some in reserve, if you ever need it. Keep the stock cooler for now, to avoid adding too much to the cost. The tradeoff is that you might have to downgrade the GPU a notch if your budget is firm.

About SSD vs mechanical: In terms of frame rate and general gameplay, there should not be any difference between the two. Loading times will be drastically reduced with a SSD. In a game like Skyrim, which is always loading, this can lead to a measurable increase in fluidity, but it's more an exception than the rule. So it might be worth it to keep some games on your SSD, but usually, you'll want to install them to a hard drive to conserve space.

@Rammy: Thank you for mentioning this about the Capstone, I admit I did not consider this when I made my recommendation.

And I agree with you, buy your parts when you are ready, there is always something newer and better around the corner anyway. If you start playing "wait and see", you'll never get to use your PC. With that said, the latest rumor for the release date of the GTX 960 was October (take that with a grain/mountain of salt, and don't quote me, I'll deny having ever mentioned this).

Edit: One last thing, about Huang Ray's suggested build, I heard that those cheap Ultrastar drives on Amazon were actually refurbs or used drives, without warranty (other than the seller's). I'd double-check before buying those.

Rammy

Honorable

Of the two, the R9 280X is a significantly stronger card, so better value. It does use more power than a GTX760 but overall it's a pretty good deal.

@ CPUs/overclocking. The 4690 and 4670 (and to some degree the 4590/4570) are the worst value i5s because they perform near identically to the cheapest i5s but cost near to the K-series models. Clock speed is not a direct performance indicator and you'd be hard pushed to notice any difference between any two models of stock clocked i5.
TLDR - cheapest i5 is the best i5. Get a 4430/4440/4460 OR a 4690K, skip the middle ground.
Once you factor in the extra costs associated with an overclocking build, it's no exaggeration that it's easily $100-200+, for often minimal performance gains. If you are unsure about overclocking, I'd avoid it altogether.

The important thing to me with ITX builds is that you consider the build as a whole. Unlike most ATX towers where stuff is generally pretty compatible, different cases have different requirements and preferences.
The 250D for example really needs a clear "top" edge of the motherboard as this is the main exhaust/cooler area. Asus boards are generally ok, ASRock are perhaps slightly better, older Gigabyte and most MSI models aren't. It has good graphics card cooling so you are pretty flexible here (unlike say a Hadron Air) but the general airflow and CPU cooler options are poor. Picking this case for "I'll get a K-series and maybe overclock later" logic isn't a great choice for me because of this lack of variety and poor general airflow - it's designed for the H100i and it mainly makes sense with one of these.

I can't say I'd recommend the Corsair RMs or the Enermax. Neither are awful, neither are great. The list that dav_jv linked is a solid guide for what's not worth buying (though it's by no means infallible and isn't great as a general buyers guide). These days the majority of highly rated units are coming from brands which use Seasonic or Superflower as OEMs. The Rosewill is a Superflower model, but given their length issue that's why I'd generally recommend looking at the Seasonic based models (like the XFX, AntecHCG or Seasonic branded). If you want value then any of the XFX550W models are fine, if you want modular cables then the Antec-HCG-620M or XFX XTR models are probably your best bet.

No problem. For the 250D it's a solid pick.

Yeah I've heard a few different things but if you look at the last time Nvidia did a proper launch for new cards (600-series) it took them a year to trickle out a full range and 6months between the GTX680 to the GTX660.
It might well be that they launch a bit closer together this time, but even then it's likely they'll be a bit on the expensive side for a month or two. If I were considering buying a GTX770/780/780Ti (or AMD equiv) I'd certainly be holding off to see if we get price drops/performance boosts, but in the mid-range I'd probably just grab a good deal when I saw it.

Huang Ray

Reputable
May 3, 2014

Rammy,
for cpu, i5 4460 (same price with 4440) has 15 dollars difference then i5 4590. So, do you think it's worth it?
For the case, Corsair 250D, he didn't use the optical drive, so everything should fit perfectly except the Asus gpu because of the height.
I agree with you on the power supply.
Tkpro should buy the cheapest amoung xfx, evga, corsair, or Seasonic. (80 plus gold)
I chose Evga 650w because it is cheaper then xfx 550w.

TKpro

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Thanks for the follow up everyone, I really appreciate the help.

I have done some thinking after all of your feedback, particularly Rammy's point about conceiving a holistic design when planning mini-ITX SFF builds.

After looking more into it, I have decided I am going to be using the Node 304 case for this build. (@Rammy: Thanks so much for the suggestion! I never would have found it otherwise)

Also, it seems that overnight the i5-4690k deal disappeared. The price of the 4690k only went up by about $10, but that is enough to make me think its not worth paying the extra cash for having the option to overclock, which I probably would never do anyway unless my CPU started bottlenecking my system in 2-3 years.

So, after these rethinks I have come up with this build.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xJm2jX
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xJm2jX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($88.38 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.24 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1058.06

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-14 11:59 EDT-0400

I have a few new questions please:

1. Rammy's point about choosing a motherboard that fits with the design of the mini-ITX case makes sense. Would this ASRock Z97M work well with the Node 304 case? Is the ASRock Z97M worth the extra $5 over the ASRock H97M? Is this motherboard a quality enough component to last the length of the computer (3-4 years)?

2. I am a little bit worried about the heat the R9 280x will be putting out in this system, even without overclocking the CPU. Is this a valid concern or will it not be a problem?

3. Is it worth getting an aftermarket cooler (say, the EVO 212) if I am not going to overclock? Will it extend the life of the CPU?

4. The Seasonic S12G 550W seems like a good power supply at the price, but will it fit in the Node 304 case with a long graphics card like the R9 280x?

5. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for all of the advice and suggestions, you have been very helpful.

dav_jw

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
1) I'll let Rammy answer this.

2) Power consumption for the 280x is similar to the GTX760. That doesn't solve your problem, I know. Also, the way the card will be positioned when installed in the case (right against a the meshed side panel), most of the heat will be exhausted directly outside the case. So this should not be a problem, even with the modest cooling capabilities of the case.

3) Maybe. If you are using your CPU at 100% for extended periods of time (rendering or something), it would be worth it. Or if the stock cooler is to noisy for your taste. But the stock Intel cooler should maintain your temperatures in a reasonable range even at full load.

4) Going by by what I could find, no. "Graphics cards longer than 170mm will conflict with PSUs longer than 160mm". The Seasonic you picked is 16 cm, with modular connectors. I wouldn't risk it.

Edit: I just saw that you inquired about the S12G (not the SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM in your parts list).
That one is 140mm and should fit without trouble. It is not modular, however, if that matters to you (I suspect it might, in a mini ITX build...)

The only 550W 140mm modular 80+ Gold, decently priced and reviewed PSU I could find is this one (pheww, that's a lot of criteria): Cooler Master V550 for 85$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171092

5) Looks all good to me!

Rammy

Honorable
1) The Z97M-ITX is new, I haven't seen any decent reviews but it appears to be a step between the H97M-ITX and the Z97E-ITX. Despite the name it's not really an overclocking board, you could OC on it but it's not well suited to this purpose.
If it's a decent price then I doubt there will be anything, but if you compare their featuresets and appearance (H97M-ITX and Z97M-ITX) they are basically identical. Motherboards rarely fail if you aren't pushing them hard and spending extra doesn't guarantee you any kind of extra lifespan.
It's fine for the Node. The upright Wifi card will impede some CPU coolers, but that shouldn't be a problem for you.

2) I wouldn't worry. The side panel of the Node (as well as the 250D, Prodigy and many others) is very well vented alongside the graphics card. This actually can mean better graphics card temps than big towers with lots of space and fans. Also, the Node (unlike the 250D) has decent general airflow from front to back as well as a built in fan controller. If you are gaming and things are heating up a bit, it's pretty easy to click the fans up a level to deal with it.

3) In theory, cooler = longer lifespan, but CPUs last way longer than they need to really. My advice is go for the stock cooler and see how you get on. Removing a cooler is a bit of a hassle, but by seeing how it handles things you'll have a better idea of any characteristics you want to change whether it's heat or noise.

4) Be careful not to confuse the G-series and the S12G-series, they are separate models. Don't quote me on this but I think the S12G is the same platform/basic design as the XFX TS-series. They all fundamentally do the same thing but the G-series (in your link) is semi modular whereas the S12G is not (plus the S12G is only 140mm long).
Having a modular PSU actually gives you less room here (and makes it much more of a guessing game as to clearances) even on PSUs of the same length - for example 160mm - as long as the cable bundle ends up at the front of the case. Hopefully this image explains what I'm getting at. A modular PSU would have connectors near to the centre of the unit.
Having said all of that, the 280X is only 262mm long and the Node takes up to 310mm - you have plenty of room for comfort.

5) I think you are pretty much on the right track. Remember to take any suggestions as what they are - suggestions. If you want a particular case/design then don't let someone like me talk you out of it. These things are subjective so it's ultimately down to you.

On a vaguely related thought - I don't hate the 250D by any means. If you are/were doing a build with a H100i, k-series processor and needed a full sized optical drive it's literally the only ITX case which checks the boxes. Once you move away from any of those things though, it's general dimensions and design choices make much less sense.

TKpro

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
@Rammy: Your point about suggestions being what they are is well taken, but when I initially conceived of this build I wanted a small form factor build that could play new games well and just generally run smoother and faster than my current 6 year old machine. I didn't like the design of any of the mesh faced smaller cases (think Coolermaster 100 series), but enjoyed the look of the 250D and decided I would compromise on size to get a case that appealed to me. Then I saw the 4690k processor on sale and thought since the case could handle overclocking, why not buy the components that could overclock in case I want to in the future. Then I saw the Node 304 in a picture next to the 250D and realized why I wanted to build a mini-ITX computer in the first place, which was not for doing an overclocked K-series build in a smaller case.

So I am definitely decided on the Node 304.

1. The Z97M-ITX as a midway between H97M-ITX and the Z97E-ITX sounds great to me and for $88 its significantly cheaper than Z97E. Since it is only $5 more than the H97M but $10 cheaper than the Gigabyte H97N, I think I'll go with the Z97M.

2. That's good to hear, thanks for the info Rammy and dav_jw.

3. I'll just stick with the stock cooler and see what my temps are like after I build and go from there. As Huang Ray asked earlier, would the $195 i5-4590 be worth an extra $15 over the $180 i5-4460?

4. That only leaves the PSU. Rammy, while the Node can take up to a 310mm card, I think Fractal Design says here (http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-304-black) that:

"ATX PSUs, up to 160mm in length (To fit in combination with a long graphics card, PSUs with modular connectors on the back typically need to be shorter than 160 mm)
Graphics cards, up to 310mm in length, when 2 HDD slots (1 HDD hanging bracket total) are removed (Graphics cards longer than 170 mm will conflict with PSUs longer than 160mm)"

So I think I would like to go with a 140mm PSU just to make sure everything fits and that if I want a slightly longer card in the future I am not as limited.

Thanks to your suggestions I have narrowed it down to the Cooler Master V550 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171092) and the Seasonic S12G (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151136&cm_re=seasonic_s12g-_-17-151-136-_-Product). The Seasonic is $15 cheaper but is not modular. If the Cooler Master is a good power supply with either a Seasonic or Superflower OEM, maybe I should just get that? How much of an advantage will the modularity be in cable/space management?

So the two decisions left are: 1. i5-4460 vs. i5-4590 ($15 price difference) and 2. Seasonic S12G-550W non-modular vs. Cooler Master V550 modular (also $15 price difference).

So this would be the build:

Motherboard: ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($88.38 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($97.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($90.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1077.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-14 14:56 EDT-0400

I always enjoy the selecting of components process and a large part of the reason why is the help I have gotten from this website both times I made a build. Thanks for all of the help!

Rammy

Honorable
For the CPU, I stand by my "cheapest i5 is the best i5" mantra. The lesser models (4430/4440/4460) have slightly less turbo boost than the rest of the models in the range but are otherwise identical - just clocked to 0.1Ghz intervals to target different price points. To tell the difference between them you'd need benchmarking software and even that would give remarkably similar results.
It's not totally relevant to your build but I run an i5-3450 and I have done some partial overclocking with it so my 3.1Ghz CPU runs at 3.5Ghz. Ran a couple of benchmarks and the scores were nearly identical (around 0.3-0.5% difference). Part of that is due to turbo boost, but there's very little in it.

The Coolermaster is Enhance, decent company. The VS range are relatively new and the reviews seem fairly positive. For me it's perhaps a little too expensive when you have other models.
Given the size and cable positioning advantage on the S12G, I'd be tempted to go for that. There's not a huge amount of space to put the cables but if you get some cable ties they should be pretty easy to get secured in that corner (there's loops in the base of the case).

dav_jw

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
The 4590 is 8% more expensive, for a 3% higher base frequency and 9% higher boost. There won't be any real-life performance difference between the two, so It would only be worth it if your CPU was the bottleneck for your usage (spoiler: it isn't).

Changed my mind about the PSU, go with the S12G. I looked up some pictures of builds in the 304, Rammy is right about the PSU. The V550 I suggested might be modular, but the way the cables are placed on the V550, it will probably give you more trouble than having an extra cable or two in your case. Given the low number of cables, the modularity won't be a real advantage here.

TKpro

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Excellent. Thanks so much for the opinions on the CPUs and the specifics on the PSU. I am going with the Seasonic S12G 550W for $74.99.

Super unfortunately, the R9 280x card at $239.99 was sold out on Newegg.com by the time I was finished with dinner and ready to order tonight. So now I am stuck wondering whether I should get a R9 280 for $200, the EVGA Superclocked GTX 760 for $230, or wait for a good deal on the R9 280x to come around again.

I don't mind waiting a week or two, but I would rather not wait longer than that and I don't really want to spend more than $250 for a graphics card.

Any ideas?

dav_jw

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

OP is looking for a mini ITX build, that's why.

I agree, the 280 is usually cheaper and faster. However the difference is not much, so if you favor Nvidia for any reason (Gsync, physX, etc...) it's a solid option.

Suggestion for an alternative card (a bit more expensive): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202125

Or cheaper: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131570

The 285 would also fit the bill, but i cannot recommend it for 250$ when you can have the 280 for 180$ or the 280X for 260.

TKpro

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Thanks for your answers.

@Huang Ray: I am doing a mini-itx build and am set on the Node 304.

@dav_jw: I am not sure that R9 280x card will fit in the case as I think it is extra long to accommodate the three fans. I would rather not risk it.

My preference is Nvidia cards because my experience has been that they last longer (the only graphics cards I have had die have been Radeon). My understanding is that most of them run cooler than the R9s as well. That being said, my preference isn't that strong and the R9 280x certainly looks like a fantastic card.

Although I stated above that I didn't really want to spend more than $250 on a graphics card I just found this MSI GTX 770 OC TWIN FROZR card for $280.80 with a free copy of the upcoming Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. Is this one of the opening shots of the Nvidia price reductions which I would imagine are coming as their new GPUs start releasing over the next few months?

As I can't find any R9 280X from the brands I like (MSI, Gigabyte, Sapphire, EVGA) around $250-$260, I might just go with the GTX 770 OC TWIN FROZR and the free copy of Borderlands, which was a game I was thinking about checking out anyway.

Any reason why that might be a bad idea?

Huang Ray

Reputable
May 3, 2014

Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB DEVIL Video Card ($170.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $949.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-16 01:07 EDT-0400

--Ray