HD 6870 fan stuck at 100%

evacu

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
Hey there,

yesterday the fan of my graphics card suddenly started working on full speed. I can certainly say that it has nothing to do with temperatures or something like that, they are constantly at around 30 degrees in idle.

Even if i try to change the fan speed manually in the driver or MSI Afterburner, it changes the percentage value, but it has no impact on the actual fan speed, which is at around 3600 RPM, no matter what settings i choose.

Obviously i didnt change anything, it seems like the fan speed throtteling ot whatever just stopped working.

I tried cleaning the card and reinstalling the driver, but as i expected that didnt change a thing.

Is there anything i can try to fix that? I dont have warranty anymore, so what the heck...

Thanks.

evacu

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014

Hey, just shut down my pc and removed the graphics card.
The fan in connected to the card with a 4-pin cable, right?
I removed that cable from the card and well, didnt see any obvious damage.
Replugging was a bit hard cause of that plastic case of my card, but yeah.

It didnt really change anything, i guess. Still on full power the entire time.

Do you think the problem is related to the fan and it would halp to simply replace that (i dont know, with one from an older card maybe) or would that other fan simply run on 100% as well, cause the "fan speed controler" is broken?

evacu

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
So, tested the card in another computer today and still the same problem, power supply isnt the reason for it.

Would buying another cooler (like: http://www.arctic.ac/de_de/accelero-l2-plus.html) help?