2x 256 ssd RAID0 vs 1 516 ssd

Devout Atheist

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
I'll probably be buying the Samsung 850 Pro. I'm considering getting two 256gb ssd running them on RAID0 vs just getting the 516gb ssd. This is just for gaming and wont have anything heartbreaking on them if one dies. They come with a 10 year warranty so if one happens to die I'll just get it replaced.

I've never played with RAID0 before... So which would be better and if I was to go with the RAID0 and one ssd died I could still wipe the other and it'd still be good to go correct?

USAFRet

Titan

As the above linked article states, for benchmarks, and very rare use cases....yes.
For real world usage? Not so much.

magnetique

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
Real world usage? What is it? Opening a browser?

The article was from real files copying, pretty real for me in every-day work... :)

If you are professional working with video editing or music composing, simply the tasks requiring heavy disk traffic, raid 0 is 2x faster in real world, this benchmark as you can see in video is from real situation:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/ssd-730-raid-demo.html

USAFRet

Titan

Real world = what most people do.

If you are routinely transferring large files back and forth ("as in a professional working with video editing"), then yes, maybe.
If you job/income depends on moving that 8GB file in 10 seconds vs 15 seconds a dozen times a day, yes, maybe.
And what are you writing that file to? Another SSD RAID array hopefully.

For most normal people and usage....not so much.
If you need the absolute speed of an SSD RAID 0 array, you already know that you need it, and can see a speed choking with what you have now.

As the OP said in the initial comment:
"This is just for gaming..."

IOW...don't bother.