$400 CPU + GPU Upgrade Advice

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
Hey everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my CPU this month and GPU in December. My only relevant tasks are gaming and Blender Cycles rendering. I play a huge variety of games, most of which are GPU-heavy. I'll need the CUDA cores of an Nvidia GPU for Blender Rendering. I don't want to spend any more than 400USD. I run Windows 8 64 bit. Here's my current build: http://

I imagine I'll be able to get a Haswell Core i3 and a GTX 760, 960, or 770 and stay within budget. My question is: would you be comfortable throwing those midrange components into my budget build? I know the PSU would be fine, and my cooling is up to the task. However, my board uses an H81 chipset and PCIe 2.0. On the plus side, there's an 8-pin CPU power socket, and I really don't need any RAID, CrossFire, or overclocking capabilities.

Thanks for any advice you have.

3Dns

Distinguished
Dont wait for the 9xx series because you need more money to upgrade there.
hmm with 400$ the best you can get is

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $349.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-15 21:18 EDT-0400

400$ Total. If you can rebate you will save 50$

The prime mediocre

Distinguished

Sorry if my post wasn't that fun to read, but I need an Nvidia card, and only want to swap out the motherboard if it's absolutely necessary. That's a different CPU socket, another low-end motherboard, and a Radeon card. I'd snap up the R9 280 in a heartbeat if I were only after gaming output, but it'll ultimately be better to stick to Nvidia/ Intel. Also, that's an ATX board, which I would have to buy a new case to accommodate. Thanks.

The prime mediocre

Distinguished

That's not really a concern, as I'll mostly be dumping the workload onto the GPU alone. It seems like only CPU-heavy games would see bottleneck, which I will play roughly 5% of the time. Thanks for the info.