R9 290 gets really HOT (91 degrees, celsius)

Cenk Brightblade

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
I've been using my r9 290 for a while now, it always had heat problems but this is just off the rails now.

Here I am playing prison architect (DON'T really think this game is THAT demanding.).

ae05ac7b88.jpg

As seen here it's working at 93 degrees at the moment. 1920x1080@120hz

Solution

You can use software fan controller software to increase the fan speed as the card temp goes up, you set up the fan curve vs temp. Check out MSI Afterburner, I use EVGA Precision, I sure most card manufacturers offer something what brand is your card?
Yes that card runs very hot with the stock cooler it hits around 95c. Turn up the fan speed to about 75% if it's not on automatic. You might check to be sure you have good air flow thru the case. An intake fan at the front and a outtake in the back and/or at the top. Be sure all the grills are clear of any dust and you might check the vents on the card to be sure they are clear too. Check the screws on the card that hold on the shroud to make sure they are tight.

Cenk Brightblade

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

I'm using a HAF X, it has good ventilation. But how is this possible in a game like this? And why did it drop down to 68 now that I increased the fan speed a liitle bit?

Cenk Brightblade

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

I have no idea what uber mode switch is, but even with speedfan gpu fan speed at %45 it's quiet. And the temp is at %66.

But doing this manually sucks.

You can use software fan controller software to increase the fan speed as the card temp goes up, you set up the fan curve vs temp. Check out MSI Afterburner, I use EVGA Precision, I sure most card manufacturers offer something what brand is your card?

Solution

Cenk Brightblade

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

I'm sure it's the sapphire battlefield 4 edition.