780 TI SLI under performing or bottlenecking?

TheNaitsyrk

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
I stress tested 780 TI in SLI in Heaven 3.0 and Heaven 4.0 benchmark.
I overclocked both ZOTAC 780 TI OC in SLI to 1080 and I kept 1750 memory as is.

Scores:
Heaven 4.0 - 3050
Heaven 3.0 - 3780

According to this, my SLI is under performing by about 700-800 score points.
Look at the table named "Multi GPU" and the 1st score. http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/unigine-heaven-4-0-benchmark-scores.190386/

CPU is definitely not bottlenecking since it's 4790K with 4.0 Ghz stock and 4.4 Ghz boost.

Could it be drivers fault? Using 340.52 (newest ones), or maybe BIOS or Motherboard?

Solution
Those guys got those scores by flashing their Firmware. If you want scores like that you might have to do the same. Then you will be able to raise your voltage to 1.212 V so you can get those huge 1124 Clock speeds. Be aware no two GPUs are alike and it could just be that they got a good GPU that allows them to overclock that high. Also I would not do this unless you have liquid cooling. At those volts your fans just will not cut it.

JimF_35

Distinguished
Those guys got those scores by flashing their Firmware. If you want scores like that you might have to do the same. Then you will be able to raise your voltage to 1.212 V so you can get those huge 1124 Clock speeds. Be aware no two GPUs are alike and it could just be that they got a good GPU that allows them to overclock that high. Also I would not do this unless you have liquid cooling. At those volts your fans just will not cut it.

Solution

JimF_35

Distinguished

You can raise your voltage to max and see how high you can get your clock. IF you hit the wall then it is the highest you can get.

This is also the number one complaint about the GTX 780, 780ti and Titans is that the bios does not allow you to push your system past it breaking point.

JimF_35

Distinguished

It use to be any over clocking will void your warrantee but today you can over clock all you want and the warrantee is usually still good. If you flash your BIOs though, I am not sure they will honor it. You may ask NVidia first.

TheNaitsyrk

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
I'm almost certainly sure that if I modify something in BIOS or BIOS itself, then they'll know about it. If I use software, there's no way they will find out. So I guess 1080 core clock is all there is for me, since it doesn't let me push it any further. I might try 1090 and 1100 later on without raising memory clock.

My evga cards are covered even with custom bios. As a mattr of fact they released a bios update in one of their forums that raised the voltage capability and allowed higher clocks. I run the classified models though so I have dual bios on each card and the 2nd (ln2) bios is designed for overclocking. I also hit my 1300mhz on air with no temp problems.

TheNaitsyrk

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
I'd have to call ZOTAC to make sure that I'll still be covered in case something happens + I can't tell them I'm overclocking. ('cause I own 2x ZOTAC 780 TI OC versions) I only have air cooling (about 7 fans) and I can also enable turbo if needed on 140mm one.

TheNaitsyrk

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
Also, just to clarify.... 1080 core clock speed on my 780 TI in SLI and 3050 score in Heaven 4.0 with maxed out settings on 1920x1080 is normal? There's no bottle necking? I just can't push it further because BIOS and -4 -5 -6 protection by NVIDIA doesn't let me do it? If yes, topic is solved.

TheNaitsyrk

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
Okay thank you very much, card is clocking at 1190 (it can be seen in the sensors in GPU-Z or Zotac Firestorm) anyway for some reason (when overclocked to 1080 without raising voltage and memory clock which is fine), however if ZOTAC lets me try the Skynet BIOS, then I'll definitely do it. Not sure if air cooling will be enough but I'll make sure to ask. Thanks you!

Thread solved.