FX-6350 hit 80c not normal

Kingcapning

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Hi as the title states my CPU hit 80c while using Movie maker, in games its now hitting 47-67 which is not safe for this cpu if i can remember, my cooler is a venom pico one with the 92mm fan, i will attach some pictures below to see if you guys can see if there is anything wrong with the fan setups i have, i also put a 120mm on top of the cpu cooler because the 92mm fan is below and i put the 120mm on top resting so far it has reduced the temps but iam in no way touching movie maker again.

Also i did reseat/re apply thermal paste but to no avail it still does it at those stupid temps, the cpu doesn't look burned at all and all the pins are fine im lost :/ i also saw in hwmonitor the cpu quickly spiked to 225c but if that was true surely my cpu and my PC would be burned right? just to add more for help when im just browsing on the web my temps seem to be at 13-30c.

Pictures of fans/cpu and the hwmonitors.

http://postimg.org/image/veqyjmogf/ cpu hitting 70c max on movie maker.

http://postimg.org/image/v8b4jz03f/ fans near cpu and cpu fan.

http://postimg.org/image/j55swep17/ showing cpu contact with fan, sort of.

http://postimg.org/image/ne5h1glyz/ front fans, 2 blowing air in and one for some reason i turned it the otherway lel

Thanks ;)

abhisekzok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
well, ur cpu wont burn at 80 or at even 90 cause i faced heating issues earlier by getting my cpu overclocked which raised my temps to 98 but it certainly did not burn but prolonged usage can certainly destroy ur cpu. ur temps are fine and considering movie making is a cpu intensive task an amd cpus tend to heat up more, ur temps are okay. Just dont let it cross 85 and there maybe an option in the bios to set ur cpu kill temp(The cpu is switched off at certain temp) check that also if ur concerned. Ur cooling setup is also good but u may wanna get a liquid cooler if u plan on overclocking.

Kingcapning

Honorable
May 30, 2013

Thanks for the reply ;) yeaa i have set it shutdown once it hits above 70c now, so 80c is fine for this cpu? i don't want to let it stay there but im just curious because AMD says its 62c max.

abhisekzok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
considering amd 6 core cpu, 80 is really high , u might wanna downclock the cpu if u want to use movie maker, and only intels cpu can handle such heat. And yeah capping at 70 is the best u can do.

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
It's just not. Why do you think overclockers keep their temps below 55-60 during Prime95? That's a much more CPU intensive task than Moviemaker. A 6350's temps should never go this high, regardless of what it's doing.

Kingcapning

Honorable
May 30, 2013

the fans are blowing the hot air out, so they're not the same as the cpu cooler should they be blowing cool air in the like the front fans then? i've always put the top fans the same as the exhaust fan at the back.

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
You want the tops fans to be blowing air out in this case, just like the fan with the yellow rubberthingies should be blowing air upwards through the heatsink.

If that fan blows up and the top fans blow down then the hot air coming out of the heatsink is blown back down, so it can't exit the case easily, and the result is worse cooling and higher temps.

Kingcapning

Honorable
May 30, 2013

No backgrounds apps were running as far as i know, i even disabled anitviruses whilst in movie maker.

Kingcapning

Honorable
May 30, 2013

They are running like this at the top http://postimg.org/image/4mngrdocz/ not dusty its phone :/

and the ones which are pushing air in are like this http://postimg.org/image/fnilweglv/ "Extreme redness"

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
I can't really see anything :p

The side of the fan with 'spokes' is generally the side that air comes out of. So you want the side with the spokes toward the top of the case with those top case fans, and you want the spokes-side towards the heatsink with the CPU fan with the yellow rubber things.

Try removing the fan on top of the heatsink for now until we get this right.

EDIT: There may also be small arrow on the fan housing that shows which way the air is blowing.

Kingcapning

Honorable
May 30, 2013

Yeaa so the top ones need to turned around to blow air into the case? and not have it like the back exhaust fan? and yeaa ill remove the the fan ontop of the cooler :p

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
No, the top fans should be blowing air out the top of the case. If the spokes are on top they're set correctly.

The fan below the heatsink (with the yellow rubber) should have the spokes on top as well, between the fan blades and the heatsink if you know what I mean.

Kingcapning

Honorable
May 30, 2013

Yea they are all like that :) thats why iam confused to why the temps go so high when in movie maker or rendering but in a game it will go to 47-66 but not all will hit 66 only Dead rising 3 in the menus.

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
Well airflow isn't the problem then.

How much thermal paste did you use? Too much or not enough can seriously affect load temps.

You could also try clearing the CMOS, sometimes that helps. Don't forget to set SATA mode back to AHCI afterwards.

abhisekzok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
well, deadrising 3 is a shitty game with poor coding and is a poor port so cpu will be used more then those optimized games. if ur airflow is correct u may waanna lower the clockspeed if ur concerned.

Kingcapning

Honorable
May 30, 2013

Smaller than a pea i used that method on my bros PC and his load temps are no wheres near the same as mine his a near perfect not even over 40c on anything, hes using the stock AMD cooler :/ ill try resetting the CMOS to see if that helps, thanks for the help so far.

Kingcapning

Honorable
May 30, 2013

Is pretty shit lol, i don't really fancy lowering the clock considering that 3.9 is stock i maybe turning turbo off? because turbo put its to 4.2 and is obviously going to increase temps.

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
Turning the clockspeed down is a last resort, and if that's necessary then something's faulty anyway.

Something else you could try is putting your CPU in your brother's system and seeing what happens. Should tell us if the CPU is defective.

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Your problem is your cpu cooler. It is not doing the job. You need one with a 120mm fan. What case do you have?

abhisekzok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

yep u can turn turbo off if ur concerned. If all does not work u may wanna consider getting an even better cooler(a liquid one if u can) or live with those temps and upgrade the cpu in future.

TRENDING THREADS