WD 500 Gb HDD

Aditya M

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
I have a WD 500 Gb My passport HDD. It was functioning normally when it suddenly started showing message that it is corrupted and cannot be accessed. It shows that this device has to be formatted before using it.
please guide me I don't want to lose any of my data.

Jdogz427

Reputable
Aug 3, 2014
if it says it needs to be formatted you might be out of luck. i had a drive exactly like that, filled with backups of files from my system that had crashed 1 year after passport crashed. I brought my drive to several people, including an it and tech instructor at my highschool, who said that there was unlikely anything could be done. it was reading 2tb of free space when the drive was only 500GB. i would try to bring that to a data recovery place, but other than that, there is not much that can be done. I know it sucks to hear it, and i know how you feel, when i say it might be too late, but there is a chance that a good data recovery person can get atleast something back out of the drive. but i would not plan on using it if you do get the data back, because it will likely happen again.

Before doing anything drastic shut down the computer, remove (disconnect the drive), reboot the computer and then reconnect the drive. Please let me know if that does not help or if you have already tried that. Have you tried connecting the drive to another computer to see if you get the same error message? If not, try that and see if you get the same result. If it does work then you should consider copying the files to another drive.