7870 Overheating With good case air flow

Hello Everyone ,

Usually I'm the one on the other end of the problem trying to solve it however this time I am the one asking for answer never the less we all need guidance at some point.

A couple of days ago I was overclocking my 7870 , all went well except the temperatures . Using the valley benchmarks the temps would max about 85-86 degrees Celsius so I thought it might be the GPU fans ( No crashes happened ) so I made them run at full speed to see whether that will fix the problem but nothing happened so I went online and ordered 3 more case fans to ensure that the graphics card has more air flow available and in the process I ran the card at stock settings again thinking that more case fans will solve the problem .

Today the new fans were installed and using the same settings that used to run for a couple of hours two days ago ( overclocking settings ) the system crashed after five minutes and temperatures where sky rocketing , Re-applying thermal paste is not convenient for me at the moment . I forgot to mention that the case fans were running at full speed same applies to the graphics card fans ( at the time of the crash ).

Thanks for your attention and looking forward to hearing your solutions.

N.B : The card is now running at stock settings and still reaching the mid 80's.

Specs : i5-4690K
Asus Z97-AR
2x4 GB Gskill Sniper Series 2133 Mhz
XFX Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition
EVGA 600B
Corsair 200R
7 Cooler Master Sickle Flow Case fans 120mm
Card Idles at 32 Degrees

That's the only explanation to be honest , I can't really do much at that point as I am travelling for a while and don't have time to purchase anything.

I wasn't clear in my last comment , I underclocked the overclock .

Stock is : 1000mhz and 1200 Mhz

OC : 1100Mhz and 1325 mhz.

Underload 100% load noway its going be in the 50s

Its idle at 32 degrees.

Full load : 76 degrees and once in a blue moon it will fluctuate to reach the 80 mark.

LOL. Idling at 32 degrees is closer to normal.

How much room are on either side of the card for airflow? Are there wires near the card that could obstruct air flow?

The best performing fan I have on my system is the side panel fan - it blows directly on the GPU for my smaller rig - dropped temps by about 25 degrees - also have two exit fans (one closer to PSU and second near GPU).

I have two side panel fans blowing air to the GPU , I have never really seen a card doing full load at 32 degrees Celsius in all honesty like the new AMD cards can run fine till 95 degrees .