FX 6100 - Think I Screwed Up

Gmr_Girl

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
I've owned my rig for almost a year now. Chose the parts myself - which is probably why I'm here writing this in the first place, lol - and was quite happy with it until recently, give or take a couple months. See, I have an FX 6100 and an ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard and I think the USB 2.0 headers on it are taking a crap because my Wireless internet adapter doesn't work sometimes. At any rate, I mainly chose the 6100 because it was only $90 and had 6 cores (which technically it doesn't, apparently) and now I'm kind of wondering whether or not I screwed up. I also can't help but feel a little guilty because even though I picked the parts (and thought I was doing a good job researching them) it was my father who bought them for me over the course of last year.

I think I have a serious case of the "Upgrade Bug" but there are a couple of problems - 1. I find myself interested in the lower-end Intel chips like the unlocked Pentium that's out but this would require not only a new motherboard (some help/advice on this would be appreciated because there are so many out there) but a whole new copy of OEM Windows 7, apparently, and I'm not sure about a dual core CPU since I play games like The Sims 3 and 4 and Bioshock Infinite. 2. If I stuck with my motherboard that can't overclock (which I'm interested in learning how to do), would there really be any point of getting a bigger/better AMD CPU like a 6300/50 or something like an 8320?

I don't really have a "budget" set because I am just gathering info at this point.

Solution
1) I think you should hold off on the GPU, since the HD 7790 roughly translates to a R7 260X, and is quite good for Medium on games.

2) Buying Intel won't require an extra Windows license. I have transferred OEM licenses all the time.
Well, in the first place, you haven't made too bad of a choice. The CPU's all right in the performance department at the price range, especially compared to the Pentium. It may be worse than a i3, but not by far. However, it would also be worth now to upgrade to a FX-8320 first. So don't regret it, by the budget of your original build, it would seems that you don't have much money for the first place. Now you may have $240-300 saved up, and can finally get a decent CPU and motherboard.

Here's something good for between $200-300, since it's cheap and doable.
Here's for AMD. It's OCable, and I recommend Gigabyte for quality and stuff.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($134.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $244.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-18 00:03 EDT-0400

Here's something for further upgrade (Intel). The FX-8320 may be the best immediate result, but Intel can be upgraded to Intel i5-4690K, or even i7. Hope it doesn't disappoint you that there's no OC yet!!!
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ECS Z97-MACHINE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $271.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-18 00:05 EDT-0400

Gmr_Girl

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Okcnaline, thanks for the reassurance - so I guess I didn't choose that "bad" of a cpu in the first place :) The budget for my original build was about $700 or $ 800 USD I think, can't remember. And I'm upgrading my GPU from an HD 7790 Sapphire Dual X OC to an R9 270X Toxic edition card from Sapphire next week. It's about $270 USD at my local shop. So, I'm wondering if I should hold off on the GPU upgrade and get a new CPU/ CPU and Motherboard (if going the Intel route) instead... See, because I'm kinda stuck. Let me explain. My PC game of choice - and the original intent of building my own rig - is The Sims 3 (would like to get 4 soon) and despite what people might say about that game, it is far more intensive than most believe, mainly on the CPU side of things ( various sites recommend an i5 or better) so that's why I was thinking of going for the Intel build but with a board from MSI, ASUS or Gigabyte as I have read their quality is excellent. However, if I decide to go for the Intel build, that would require a new copy of Windows 7, so there's another $100 USD (unless it comes up for sale on newegg of course, then it's only $84) Though, since my father wants to build his own rig as well (has an ancient P4 Dell that he can't stand) and bought himself a Phenom II X4 965, could I just give him the Motherboard I have now (the ASUS M5A97 I mentioned my first post) and that way he doesn't have to buy Windows 7 for his rig? I still have the disc and everything. I could also sell the FX 6100 I have to offset the cost of the new CPU and mobo. Could it work this way?

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Yes it can work that way. Also you can get a usb 3.0 card to solve your usb problem. Usb 3.0 is backward copatible.

Gmr_Girl

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

1. It's actually damn good for Very High settings in The Sims 3 as well, which is what I play on (minus a few things like Tree Detail which I don't care about) I play on 1366 x 768 resolution though because anything higher and I have trouble seeing. :)

2. I have to admit, this is one of the main reasons why I'm so apprehensive about going to "the other side", the whole Windows thing. Microsoft states that the OEM copy of their OS is tied to the motherboard; a person can, therefore, upgrade anything on their DIY rig except the motherboard. Should they upgrade/change their motherboard, a new Windows license is required. I'm interested to know how you get around it!

For the OEM switch,
1) Install Windows as you would
2) Enter the serial key from the OEM license (on the bottom of laptop, side of desktop, original disk box, etc.)
3) Activate online
-If it succeeds, then all goes well, and no need for further instructions.
-If it doesn't, then finish the remaining tutorial:
4) press "Windows Key + R"
5) type "slui 0x4" without the quotes
6) select your country
7) follow on-screen instructions
8) Should succeed, if not, then further things in the PM.

Gmr_Girl

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Could I get a Pentium G3258 - I know it's a dual core - and something like a Gigabyte GA-Z97X board ($123) and still have an enjoyable experience? Or would I be better just going with an i5 4460 and a cheaper motherboard?

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Do not cheap out on your Mobo. Go with the I5.

sapperastro

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Re Pentium, everything I have read suggests it can game ok, especially if overclocked, but I would only use it as a placeholder until broadwell arrived, then you could slot an i5 in. Any games 2 years and older is a breeze for a dual core. After that, sometimes it is fine, other times a bit laggy. I would check any newer, high end games you plan on playing and see how others fare with their setups.

With the Pentium, you can overclock on many of the H97 boards too. One such board is the ASRock H97 Fatality. I believe some of the ASUS boards in the H97 range can also overclock with a new bios update.

Gmr_Girl

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

You guys are being especially helpful to me. Thanks so much. I really appreciate it. I do have more questions though, so bear with me. :) Like, if I decide to go with the i5 and a Z97 board, what are some good ones to look out for? I'd like to get a reasonably priced, great quality board for around $125 to $140 USD.

EDIT: I think I may have found the perfect board, as it goes together PERFECTLY with the green and black theme of my rig. It's a Gigabyte GA-G1.SNIPER Z5S Z87 ATX motherboard, and my local computer shop has it for $115 USD on their online store.

I also found nearly the same board on newegg, except that one has a B85 chipset on it and not as many pci-e x16 slots: http://

Would either of these be good choices?

sapperastro

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
It all depends on whether you want to have a platform that can switch to broadwell when the time comes, whether you want to overclock to a great degree, whether you have a sound card or use on board sound, how many Hard drives you want, whether you want to utilise M.2 connection for future storage, and so on.

For Broadwell upgrading in the future, you need either a H97 or Z97 motherboard. The ASRock board I suggested above is one and is a decent cheaper option that also allows overclocking even though it is a H series. The ASUS Maximus VII Ranger looks nice too and is a Z97 board. I am sure some of the others here will be able to suggest other 97 chipset boards. It all depends on what you want out of it.

Gmr_Girl

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
That makes sense. :)

Ok, I have a question. Would there be any noticeable difference between an i5 4460 and an i5 4670? Since I have an interest in learning how to overclock, should I just get a K version i5 instead even if it's more money? Also, would any of those CPUs bottleneck on an R9 270x Toxic GPU?

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Yes, go for the K version. No on the Bottleneck.