Sep 18, 2014
hereby asking some advice -
I recently built a new secondhand rig:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
ASUS M4A78
4Gb kingston DDR2
radeon R9 270
etc

Problem is that I'm having minor flaws in graphic card output. Namely, DVI to monitor has flickering pixels occasionally, green ones if there's some black background and purple/pinkish if background is white. Not too much, mostly on some black graphics, for example if I google for "black" and check images, like one third of the previews (the ones that have more halftones) are flickering a little, the worst of them dashing a full green line for a split second on screen. There's lot less flickering on white surface, but it occasionally occurs on some page menus or similar.

I experience a problem with hdmi output too, there's a strange flickering "faze shift" going on on some parts of the screen, like a strict line drawn from 1/8th (1/10th?) of screen's upper or lower part. It does not occur on still scenes,but when there's fast moving background, pretty much always.

I had my dvi cable in dual output, and there the flickering was considerably worse. Single link suffers less. I was pretty sure its the dvi cable, but now I do'nt know as hdmi has its flaws too. I sure could be faulty video card but I'd like to eliminate any other reason before I go by new one. So, I have some idea's of my own but please spare me your's.

Oh, and I tried both vlc and potplayer with their built in codecs, and I get the faze shift with any format, even flash from youtube.

what to test, what to check?

Anything over 5m is asking for trouble. You can get extenders if required to run up to 100m over cat6 cable.
The sort of artifacts you are describing do sound cable related.
I experienced issues when trying to run 2560x1440 resolution over a DVI cable with dual link connectors but a cable not handle to handle the bandwidth.
What resolution and refresh rate are you using?

ciryo

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014
It's 1920x1080 at 60 Hz for dvi and 1080p at 60Hz for hdmi, sir:)

but how can my 15m dvi cable inflict the hdmi to display a blurred/flickering upper tenth at tv screen if video card not faulty...

Obviously the DVI cable can't cause the HDMI cable to play up, and you would be unlucky to have a dodgy HDMI cable that behaved the same as your extra-long DVI cable.
1920x1080 is a single link DVI resolution, so that rules out bandwidth problems on the DVI cable.
I guess that leaves the graphics card or monitor.
Have you tried a different monitor with the PC, or a different PC (e.g. someone's laptop) with this monitor?

ciryo

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014
I had the same monitor with previous rig, no flickering whatsoever.

I'm not that into solving my dvi link yet, but the hdmi shift. Quess I try hdmi without dvi connected next, or any other combination, and play around with codecs. I was just hoping someone has experienced the flickering "out of phaze" stripe problem before on hdmi output.