A4 5300 vs. AMD Athlon X4 750k

EucleX

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
I currently own an A4 5300 processor that is bottlenecking the hell out of my 2gb 7770 HD. I was wondering if there would be a great performance difference when upgrading to an Athlon X4 750k.

Solution

It will not bottleneck that card at all. In cpu limited games yes it will still be a little less than required to play full settings @ high rez.

Haloaddict44

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
It will help by quite a bit, although it will still bottleneck. I used to run an A4 5300 as well, and a GTX 650. I ended up upgrading to an A10 6800K and it helped a bunch. However, the poor single core performance and lack of L3 cache hurts it by too much to ignore. It will perform better, but not by as much as you would like. If you have the money, I'd recommend switching to an Intel Pentium G3258, and get a cheap H81 LGA1150 motherboard to go with it. Its only two cores, but its very fast and shouldn't have a problem powering that card. Hope this helps :)

The best CPU in the FM2+ socket family will still bottleneck any higher end gpu. It should not bottleneck the 7770, but if you can afford to put a bit more money into it then doing a cpu and motherboard upgrade to a AMD fx series or an intel core i5 would be much much better. The pentium suggested above has received a lot of attention due to its overclock abilities and its single thread performance; but once you put it agianst multi-threaded applications it falls on its face compared to the other CPUs so getting the pentium over the 750k is not a significant enough improvement to justify the cost in my oppinion.

If you cant afford more then the cost of the 750k and cant save up more money then yes the 750k will be a big improvment. If you can wait off then your money will be better spent on a different platform.

Haloaddict44

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Speaking from experience, the A10 DID bottleneck my 650 (worse than the 7770). Games don't use more than two threads in most cases, and the FM2 APU's can't perform at a high enough level. It will bottleneck. If the question is about GPU bottlenecking, it is safe to assume we are talking about a gaming oriented solution.

Update: The Pentium is in the same price range as the 750K

The pentium is no doubt better then the 750k, but since it requires the purchase of a new mobo I just did not feel that it was the best use of funds if he had to replace the motherboard anyways.

Everything I have read on that pentium is either lab benchmarks or apples-to-oranges comparison, would be nice to see a real world compare between it and an i5 or i7 in demanding games.

Haloaddict44

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Yeah, it would be nice to see that. I'm just trying to throw other options out there. I'm currently resenting my current CPU because of single core performance, and the heavy bottleneck that appears in games. (FX-8150 @ 4.7GHz and GTX 770 @ 1228MHz Core and 3650MHz Mem)

EucleX

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

It will not bottleneck that card at all. In cpu limited games yes it will still be a little less than required to play full settings @ high rez.

Solution