R9 280 on Dell XPS 8300, black screen

Buzzbrad

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
Hello,

Currently I have a Dell XPS 8300. With the default mother board. I wanted to upgrade my AMD HD 6870 to an R9 280. I bought a new 600W psu hooked that up and my new GPU. When turning my PC on, the fans spin up normally and such but the display shows nothing, the keyboard and mouse don't turn on either. When I put my 6870 back the computer works fine. I have the latest BIOS version. Any ideas?

Thanks

Buzzbrad

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013

I got an EVGA 600 B 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified 600W PSU. I did the BIOS update on my motherboard using my old card then tried to new one and it still didn't work. Is the PSU the problem? Do I need a 750 W one? The fans on my new GPU start spinning when I turn my computer on but that is it.

No, that power supply will run the card just fine, it's a good brand and the 280 uses 200watts max, it will easily boot up on your power supply if everything is working properly.

You have all of the power plugs in the 280 card? Find out what revision of the PICe slot the computer has, earlier PCIe 1 slots have compatability issues with newer PCIe card versions. I have read that is especially true for AMD cards, nVidia cards seem to be better with older slots.

Buzzbrad

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013

It has a PCIE 2.0 slot. I have all the power plugs in yes. There was a problem exactly like mine except for the 270x posted on the Dell forums: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19538211

Everyone has the same problem as me. Is it safe to assume it is a BIOS problem and Dell is never going to update it?

If it's a newer system, contact Dell support and see if there is a fix and report it at least. Although the OEM builders would likely just say that you are uisng an un-supported video card not bought from them and close the case.