i7 3770 for today and tomorrow

Brendan Regino

Honorable
Aug 16, 2014
Intel has been releasing CPUs every 6 months and they all perform so good especially their haswell-refresh CPUs and the upcoming Broadwell CPUs.

I'm doing for my first gaming/multitasking PC build and I would like to ask, does the i7 3770[non-k] still good even in today's games?

I can go with the i5 haswell-refresh and a h97 mobo but there is also consideration that games will utilize more than four cores soon.

I wanted for this build to last 4+ years before upgrading anytime soon, that's why I considered HT.

The GPU for this build would be a GTX 980 because I care about performance and power consumption. I don't plan on OC or SLI.

You may suggest me CPU+MOBO combo either AMD or Intel for +/- 400 bucks

"Goal is to have a best combo of CPU and MOBO for tomorrows gaming"

~thank you

Solution
If the 3770 is significantly cheaper than the 4770, go for it. Also take a look at the Xeon 123/1 V3 since it has performance similar to an i7 at a cheaper price.

Any of those options will be able to play the games you listed at high/ultra settings (with the 980) while multitasking. The system should also be able to record well.

Icaraeus

Honorable
I don't think you can even find LGA 1155 socket CPUs anymore, but I live in Australia so i dunno. I would go with the Haswell refresh CPUs as they're pretty cheap and are better than the Ivy Bridge CPUs. Something like i5 4690K and ASRock Z97 Extreme4. No games at the moment require hyperthreading and hardly anyone has a CPU with more than 4 cores so there's little reason for developers to code their game specifically for it.

Brendan Regino

Honorable
Aug 16, 2014

I don't plan on Overclocking my CPU and SLI, but I have questions for the i5:

1. Will it handle games such as GTA IV, Max Payne 3, NFS and especially Watch_Dogs at high/ultra 1080p? [I only have 1080p HD LED TV/Monitor]
2. Can the i5 non-k version still perform good gaming experience [with games mentioned above] while running background applications? [ex. skype, chrome, MS office, utorrent etc.]

I might also record gameplays especially Multiplayers in the future... [That's why I picked the i7 3770 especially they're still in stock including b75 and h77 mobos]

Also I'm from Philippines and prices here drops when newer models arrive.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
If the 3770 is significantly cheaper than the 4770, go for it. Also take a look at the Xeon 123/1 V3 since it has performance similar to an i7 at a cheaper price.

Any of those options will be able to play the games you listed at high/ultra settings (with the 980) while multitasking. The system should also be able to record well.

Solution