256-Bit and 4GB VRAM

Linnaeus

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014
Are there issues with having a GPU with 4GB VRAM and 256-Bit bus? I remember reading a thread a while back that there is something called a bottleneck between the two. Also, what is a bit and why does AMD have a higher bit bus?

Solution
There is no relationship between the quantity of VRAM and the width of the bus.
You need more VRAM to store higher quality textures, store larger frame buffers for higher resolutions and to support higher levels of anti-aliasing.
The width of the bus is about how quickly you can get data in and out of VRAM, but this also depends on the clock speed of the memory and the compression being used. Nvidia and AMD have both moved to narrower bus width with faster memory and better compression because it reduces manufacturing cost and power usage while maintaining performance. It is also likely when they move to 20nm or 16nm processnodes that it will no longer be possible to connect a memory bus with more than 256 bits.
In short, the...
There is no relationship between the quantity of VRAM and the width of the bus.
You need more VRAM to store higher quality textures, store larger frame buffers for higher resolutions and to support higher levels of anti-aliasing.
The width of the bus is about how quickly you can get data in and out of VRAM, but this also depends on the clock speed of the memory and the compression being used. Nvidia and AMD have both moved to narrower bus width with faster memory and better compression because it reduces manufacturing cost and power usage while maintaining performance. It is also likely when they move to 20nm or 16nm processnodes that it will no longer be possible to connect a memory bus with more than 256 bits.
In short, the performance Nvidia can achieve with 4GB of VRAM and a 256 bit memory bus is outstanding.

Solution

Linnaeus

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014

I think I get what your saying. So I don't have to worry about getting a card with 256 bit and 4GB VRAM? I was kinda hesitant to get the GTX 970 but I'll go buy it now. Thanks.

zaysk

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

Awesome, thanks for the excellent information, that's what I always suspected as well.