i5 3470 vs a8-6600k

Sig2525

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
Looking to trade with a friend who has i5-3470 with intel DH61BF motherboard to my A8-6600k with GIGABYTE GA-F2A58M motherboard.

i know the i5 is faster but will the motherboard bottleneck it because it only supports up to 1333 mhz ram and i have with me 1866mhz dual channel rams.

will my a8-6600k with 1866 mhz ram be faster or at least on par with the i5 3470 with 1333 mhz ram?

if ever i resort into overclocking how much will i add to my processor frequency to match the i5 3470 at 1333mhz ram?

or should i just go with the trade?

thanks

Solution
The difference in RAM speed is negligible and probably wouldn't even be noticed by you. Of course, you don't say how much of each type of RAM is at issue either. And, all DDR3 RAM is dual channel if used in the proper configuration for dual channel operation. Do you have a graphics card or are you using the iGPU feature of the CPUs? In almost any case the i5 is going to be faster but it largely depends on whether a GPU card is being used or not.
The difference in RAM speed is negligible and probably wouldn't even be noticed by you. Of course, you don't say how much of each type of RAM is at issue either. And, all DDR3 RAM is dual channel if used in the proper configuration for dual channel operation. Do you have a graphics card or are you using the iGPU feature of the CPUs? In almost any case the i5 is going to be faster but it largely depends on whether a GPU card is being used or not.

Solution

Uh, no. More like a complete idiot, no offense to the OP for having an idiot friend. Yeah, no competition with that setup at all. The i5 with the 760 finishes the race, has lunch and probably even takes a nap while waiting for A8 to arrive. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration but it's a pretty wide gap in performance.

Keep in mind that you will have to reinstall Windows, and it isn't worth the trade if you factor that in.

If you are really fast and smart (and lucky) about it though, you can go into Device Manager and delete all the drivers associated with the AMD motherboard and CPU, shut it down, and then make the hardware switch.

Well obviously Windows isn't going to work if you are using AMD drivers on a new Intel motherboard and CPU. You need to uninstall all the drivers and turn off the machine before windows automatically reinstalls them. I did it when I switched from my A10-5800K to an i3-4130.

Reinstalling Windows would be the best option. The chances are always high that there will be driver conflicts from resident drivers or remnants and just general confusion to the OS with that drastic of a hardware change. Will it work, probably. Will there be issues, probably.

Yeah, but the windows image you have backed up to a restore partition were created when the AMD drivers were installed which means you would just be installing the same problem unless you do a clean install or create a new windows installation media. Are you running 7 or 8?