128 (or 256) SSD main + a secondary HDD - best way to approach this?

Piggywings

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
For a desktop-replacement laptop build that has a 2-drive capacity:

Because I can't afford a 1 TB SSD, I'm looking at doing a combination.

128 or 256 GB boot drive for programs and stuff I currently use/access frequently + a second HDD for storage (music files, photos, artwork I'm not currently working on, archived documents etc). I have an external HDD for backup.

For the secondary drive, there are a few options:
1 TB 5400 RPM
750 GB 7200 RPM
1 TB Hybrid

Which is a better option? I'm leaning towards the 1 TB 5400 for size, but am tempted to sacrifice the space for the 7200 RPM for speed, if it's worth it. I'm not sure how a hybrid would play together with the SSD.

Thoughts?
Thanks ^_^

Videographer

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014
Go with a 250gb ssd. They are quicker. 840 evo is a good one, m550 isn't bad mx100 is cheap and OK.

For the HDD hybrids are a bit men. They don't do much that a fast HDD can't do. I'd get a 1tb 7200rpm and short stripe it to 750GB this will use the fastest part of the drive and improve seek times. When you run out of space on it you can portion up that last 250gb without buying a new drive! There are 1tb 7200 available, I have one in my thibkpad, if its cost then save a little more to buy it. Don't get a 128gb ssd to save money they are virtual half the speed

Jacob Berke

Honorable
Sep 18, 2014
I'd just get a 500GB SSD for $210. Your pretty much gonna spend about $70 on the storage drive 1tb 5400 or 7200 rpm and about $80 for the 120gb ssd, which is about $150. I mean how much space do you really need? You can always get another HDD later in the future. You can't beat this deal. 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD $209.99 Code: "525ACB6"

If you install many programs, that smaller SSD will fill up in a hurry. Remember, not only will you use space to install those programs, but you will use space installing any updates to them. You'll also be using space to install your operating system and all the available updates to it, so if you can afford a larger SSD, I would highly recommend getting the largest one you can afford.

As for your storage drive, that 1 TB 5400 RPM drive will do just fine.

Piggywings

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Fantastic, thank you everyone for the rapid replies! I find myself wishing I had more space on my current Laptop due to owning tons of music, and image files like .psd are often giant. So I def want 1 TB total at least. I'll look into the larger SSD and go from there. Since I'm not building my own laptop, and my experience in rig building is limited to desktops, I'm limited a bit by what's offered by the manufacturer. But these are great guides to selecting, thx!

A 5400RMP drive is perfectly fine for file storage, especially music. If he will be frequently accessing and editing large photo/video files, then an SSD would allow the opening of those files more quickly. Makes no sense to use an SSD just to store files you will rarely access.