i5 3470 good enough for the new gtx 970

ROGERzackey

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
hey guys im planning on upgrading my gpu to a GTX 970 from GTX 760 i have an i5 3470s 2.9ghz with turbo boost @3.6ghz now im wondering if i will get bottlenecked with this cpu in the latest games @1080p on high/ultra and on a side note seeing as how a gpu is more important for gaming than a cpu is will my i5 last me at least till mid 2016 thanx in advance guys.

Solution
It hasn't been worth upgrading a cpu, if you have an Intel Sandy Bridge i5 or later, to anything newer cpu-wise for games yet. Since you have an Ivy Bridge, you will still do just fine gaming on ANY single gpu card.

If the Intel performance gains from new Cpu's continues on it's general path, you would still be fine for at least 3 years I'm guessing. At that time you might be able to justify an upgrade vs. the cost spent, but at this time it really isn't worth it. Only thing that might change that is the next cpu's will be running on ddr4 Ram, and that might be worth it itself, but I'm guessing it won't be.
It hasn't been worth upgrading a cpu, if you have an Intel Sandy Bridge i5 or later, to anything newer cpu-wise for games yet. Since you have an Ivy Bridge, you will still do just fine gaming on ANY single gpu card.

If the Intel performance gains from new Cpu's continues on it's general path, you would still be fine for at least 3 years I'm guessing. At that time you might be able to justify an upgrade vs. the cost spent, but at this time it really isn't worth it. Only thing that might change that is the next cpu's will be running on ddr4 Ram, and that might be worth it itself, but I'm guessing it won't be.

Solution

ROGERzackey

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

thanks for the answer man i really hope you right cause i got no cash at the moment lol

ROGERzackey

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

thanks man and you really helped me out i hope you right cause i really got no cash atm and im gonna get that gtx 970 in december looks like a sweet card out performs the gtx 780 in all games and the titan in some really great at that price.