A 1600 mhz ram module paired with a 2133 mhz ram module?

solkeher

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Hello,

I have a 8 gb ddr3 1600 mhz module and I'm planning to buy more ram from the same brand, except the other module is faster at 2133 mhz.

Is this going to cause issues? I've researched and found various answers from its not going to work at all/your computer will explode to nothing bad is going to happen/it will work.

So I just want a clear answer.

Thank you.

Solution
Timings & speed should be the same. Even if sticks are matched exactly, same manufacturer and all, you are taking a chance. It's best to get a kit of sticks. That way you are guaranteed sticks that have been tested to make sure they work with each other.

What MB and CPU do you have? The CPU's memory controller is the main factor and then a board that will support fast memory speeds.

EDIT:
Might have to run sticks 1600MHz or less if they work together. It's a waste to get expensive fast memory and then try to pair it with slower memory.

Weeger

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

they shoud be the same speed afaik

Timings & speed should be the same. Even if sticks are matched exactly, same manufacturer and all, you are taking a chance. It's best to get a kit of sticks. That way you are guaranteed sticks that have been tested to make sure they work with each other.

What MB and CPU do you have? The CPU's memory controller is the main factor and then a board that will support fast memory speeds.

EDIT:
Might have to run sticks 1600MHz or less if they work together. It's a waste to get expensive fast memory and then try to pair it with slower memory.

Solution

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

+1 and even if they do play, it still may be problematic as the timings won't be ideal for one or the other stick

TRENDING THREADS