760 SLI, 780, or 970?

MtKnttu

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
I currently have a single GTX 760 from MSI in my rig which runs great, but I will be switching from a regular 1080p 60hz monitor to a 1080p 144hz monitor soon, so I want to upgrade my rig as well.
At first I was going to add another 760 to my rig, but the release of the new Maxwell chips at good prices and the dropping price of the 780 are making me reconsider.
Do I buy another 760 for $220,
or
Sell my current 760 to my friend and buy one of the more powerful cards?
And which card should I buy, the Asus 780 for $330, or a 970 for $330-350?

Solution
^ Fair enough, nice rig, mate.
As the reviews show the GTX970 is a bit quicker that the GTX780, and it carries that extra 1Gb of memory, so yes, in your circumstances I'd go for a GTX970 instantly.
Supply is going to be your biggest headache, I know they're pretty well sold out in the USA and over here in the UK they're already getting scarce so expect prices to rise as a result.
I suggest you hold off until the card you want actually becomes available and prices settle down, after all that GTX760 isn't exactly slow and although it's not going to drive a 144Hz monitor at full pelt it's still a good, solid card.
FYI it'll be worth the wait!

MtKnttu

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

Ive done more research, and I definitely think i'll be going with the 970, but I'm not sure whether to buy a reference card or wait for some of the manufacturer designs. The stock 970 has a cooler that can handle a titan, and I plan to overclock manually, so is a fancy 2-fan one even worth it?

The better coolers are worth it, particularly if you intend to overclock, despite the fairly low heat output of the GTX970, the reference cooler can cause throttling (it's not the same one they used on the Titan or GTX780Ti).
Harder call on the cost, the GTX970 is a bit quicker than the GTX780, but a little slower than the GTX780Ti, in both cases it draws less power and produces less heat, so runs very quietly (mine's virtually silent ;) (smug)).
If your rig is a few years old (specs, please) I'd probably look for whichever is cheaper, lets face it, the GTX780 is no slouch even if the new boy is a bit quicker and either can virtually decimate ANY game out there at 1080 rez.

MtKnttu

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

Its only about a year old,
i5-4670k OC'd to 4.2GHz
Asrock z87 extreme 6 mobo
MSI GTX 760 Gaming edition
Corsair TX 750W PSU
8GB DDR3-1600

Im kind of upset that manufacturers aren't selling 970's with the Titan blower cooler in the US (It works and looks great) but the MSI gaming edition 970 looks good too. I also want the 970 over the 780 because the lower temperatures will help out greatly in this 100 degree summer weather.
I'd also like the extra VRAM for Skyrim mods.

^ Fair enough, nice rig, mate.
As the reviews show the GTX970 is a bit quicker that the GTX780, and it carries that extra 1Gb of memory, so yes, in your circumstances I'd go for a GTX970 instantly.
Supply is going to be your biggest headache, I know they're pretty well sold out in the USA and over here in the UK they're already getting scarce so expect prices to rise as a result.
I suggest you hold off until the card you want actually becomes available and prices settle down, after all that GTX760 isn't exactly slow and although it's not going to drive a 144Hz monitor at full pelt it's still a good, solid card.
FYI it'll be worth the wait!

Solution