Will an i5 2400 bottleneck a GTX 980?

link9598

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
I just bought a GTX 980 and I am waiting for it to be delivered. I am wondering if my CPU will bottleneck the 980. My current specs are:

GTX 770 (Soon to be 980)
i5 2400
8 GB RAM
Windows 8.1

Solution
the only thing that may bottleneck your cpu would be the lack of PCI-E 3.0. The sandy bridge 2XXX series processors only support PCI-E 2.0. the cpu itself wouldn't be bottlenecked, but the pci bandwidth maximum would be. putting a pci-e 3.0 card into a 2.0 slot, it will be as if the card is running on 8 lanes of pci-e 3.0 instead of 16. i don't THINK a gtx 980 will fully saturate a pci-e 2.0 slot, but it may come pretty close in some benchmarks, games, instances. this will become more obvious and actually cause bottlenecking if you go to dual slot sli in the future, as the 2.0 lanes on your motherboard would operate at x8,x8 mode, which would be pci-e 3.0 at x4, x4, which is very bad for almost any high end graphics setup.

i would...

Ryan Souza

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Depends on the game I guess. An example would be Natural Selection 2. with a 3570k at 4.8 my 280x sits between 70-99% load. At stock 3.5ghz my gpu is only 65% usage load for this particular game. I suspect most games should be fine but a better match would be a 970 with that cpu.

kewlguy239

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
the only thing that may bottleneck your cpu would be the lack of PCI-E 3.0. The sandy bridge 2XXX series processors only support PCI-E 2.0. the cpu itself wouldn't be bottlenecked, but the pci bandwidth maximum would be. putting a pci-e 3.0 card into a 2.0 slot, it will be as if the card is running on 8 lanes of pci-e 3.0 instead of 16. i don't THINK a gtx 980 will fully saturate a pci-e 2.0 slot, but it may come pretty close in some benchmarks, games, instances. this will become more obvious and actually cause bottlenecking if you go to dual slot sli in the future, as the 2.0 lanes on your motherboard would operate at x8,x8 mode, which would be pci-e 3.0 at x4, x4, which is very bad for almost any high end graphics setup.

i would recommend a new build for better features, pci-e bandwidth, usb 3.0, native sata 6gb\s controller, and generally better future-proofing. If you purchased a sandybridge on the 67 or 68 series chipsets, the next gen, ivybridge was just a die shrink with a new chipset (77 series) and maintaining the socket type (LGA 1155). A die shrink just means more efficient with less power, but it has the same architecture as the previous generation, usually comes with a feature upgrade or two (sandy to ivy gave us native sata 3, pci-e 3.0) and doesn't have sufficiently high performance gains. . tics and tocks. haswell is the latest intel chip with the 87 and 97 series chipsets and is a completely new architecture. its die shrink, broadwell, should be coming out in the next few months. Tics and tocs... tic is new architecture, tocs are just die shrinks.

basically, if you bought a pc on a tic, you should stay on the tic, as new architectures mean massive feature and performance increases compared to the previous architecture. waiting for the toc, or the broadwell processors in the current state, wont yield exceptionally advanced performance or features over the current offerings available. the only new feature rumored is to be DDR4 motherboards, but the price of DDR4 memory is very very high right now. now is a great time to buy a new pc as the prices on SSDs are now very affordable, memory speeds are much faster for much cheaper, and graphics cards are absolutely stunning to play on with a fully featured motherboard and processor. if you have time to save up, i would highly suggest it, then drop your new gtx 980 into that sweet freshly minted pc.

Solution

Swede69

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Yes it will most definitely, I own a 2500k which I ran@5.0ghz for several years so I know the series well, and since you can't overclock your 2400, your running at 3.5ghz or less, that is definitely going to cause a bottleneck in demanding games. I'm sure your board is out of date as well. Their has been many changes to boards since the P67/Z68.