$785 build. Am I overlooking anything?

ideaofhappiness

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
Here is my build. It is my first!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ideaofhappiness/saved/dC9wrH

My budget is around $800 but I would prefer to spend less. I plan on buying by the end of the week. I mostly use my PC for music, movies, games, and internet surfing. I want the PC to be relatively quiet so music and movies won't be affected.

I don't know much about mobos and chose one of the cheapest one. How much will this affect my build? Will the audio suffer? Has anyone used this case? What are your thoughts on it? I am open to any suggestions. Will the PC be quiet while I am watching movies and listening to music (The graphics card looks like it could be loud)?

Thanks!

Solution

The built-in sound will be fine. You won't notice the difference between it and a $100 card unless you are doing some audio processing / producing.

The Intel build is by far faster when looking at performance "clock per clock". That is, the Intel CPU will get much more work done at 4.0Ghz than an AMD build would at the same frequency (4.0GHz) in the same amount of time. The AMD build...

Warrior of Cats

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
MSI is a good way to go. If you want $800, try my build. It's called Ghost, and you can find it if you look on the Phantom 410 case. It can work very well, and if you want to stick with yours, thats fine. It looks like it would work pretty well, but I don't know too much about how good BitFenix cases are for cooling.

ideaofhappiness

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
Thanks for the replies. After doing more research i don't think I'm going to go with the mobo. A lot of people are saying it's really flimsy. Any suggestions? I want one that has good built in sound. Or would it be best just to get a soundcard?

Also. I like the idea of amds multiple cores. Why do more people seem to do with Intel at this price?

MB - The MSI board is OK. The Gigabyte below is a solid board with good overclocking capabilities.
CPU Cooler - Don't forget one.
MEM - Always install modules in matching pairs to take advantage of the dual memory controllers. A single, or mismatching, modules will have you in single channel mode.
SSD - Fine and all. Also consider the MX100 and 840 Evo.
HD - Overkill. Look toward a typical 1TB offering instead of a NAS type drive. With the SSD in the mx handling the bulk of the load, the HD here will never really be taxed from a performance perspective.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($235.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.66 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($105.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green 1TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($185.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.50 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $906.24

The built-in sound will be fine. You won't notice the difference between it and a $100 card unless you are doing some audio processing / producing.

The Intel build is by far faster when looking at performance "clock per clock". That is, the Intel CPU will get much more work done at 4.0Ghz than an AMD build would at the same frequency (4.0GHz) in the same amount of time. The AMD build has its benefits with more processing threads and lends to good performance with intense video work. For gaming the Intel option is a better one.

Solution

ideaofhappiness

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
Thank you sadams04. Your response put my mind at ease and helped a lot. I have taken your advice into consideration and here is the updated build. The main difference is the motherboard but I also changed a few other things to match colors (i know, vain right?).

Build Version 2:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($128.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($185.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $863.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-26 20:03 EDT-0400