970, 770 which one should i buy

EliteMastermind

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
Im looking to upgrade the video card in my wifes system. The computer has a gtx 550 ti, should i upgrade to the 970? Would it be worthwhile.

And if so, i was thinking gigabyte or asus for the card. let me know what your thoughts are and thanks in advance

Let her decide :0

perfrel_1920.gif

The 970 is more than 3 x as fast as the 650 Ti

On a side note .... I did my 1st "share" at my Husband's Anonymous meeting earlier this week .... went like this ....

"Hello, my name is Jack and I'm a husband ..... it's been 24 years since my last decision".

hapkiman

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Both cards are great. The GTX 970 is quite a bit faster/better than the GTX 770, but make no mistake the 770 is no slouch.

Depending on how many monitors she will be using and at what resolutions she may do fine with a 770. If you can get a good price on a 970 then of course go for it. I personally like the MSI Gaming 970 but the ASUS card looks really good as well.

But shopping around on eBay you can pick up a used GTX 770 at a decent price - which would be a huge upgrade for her.

It just depends on how much you want to spend and what monitors/resolutions she will be running (and what gaming she does). The 770 can handle any current game at 1920x1080 and get 60+ FPS.

If ya want the bast detailed review with all the "nitty gritty", suggest the Bit-Tech one .... pay specific attention to the power delivery, phases, voltage controllers, chokes and capacitors used as well as how each of those components are cooled. Some manufacturers use hi grade special stuff and add thermal pads, etc for cooling, some don't do anything.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/1

Solution

Most but not any :) ... at least not without turning down some settings.

crysis3_1920_1080.gif

The MSI Gaming Series cards are the best in either instance, the MSI770 however is $255 .... the MSI 970 is $350