i5 4460 vs AMD FX 8350

Chalkstick

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
Budget gaming build, needs to play ARMA 3 at high, bf4 ultra.

I have searched other posts about this, but none of it really helped.

I need to know, which processor is better for GAMING.

Intel i5 4460 (Quad-Core) @ 3.2ghz
or
AMD FX 8350 (8-Cores) @ 4.0ghz

---

Graphics Card:
EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0

Solution
The integrated graphics will have nothing to do with the GTX 970.

The i5 vs AMD 8 core debate rages on as per. It is quite a bit more complicated than the AMD having 8 fully functional cores, but it is best not to go into it. In general, in almost all games at the moment, an i5 will perform better.

Despite games being able to use up 8 threads, doesn't mean it requires them. Often times a program or game is capable of doing so, however you will find that they'll heavily load 2 threads and spread the rest of the load over a possible total of 8 threads. So in reality, having those 2 main threads perform very well, in which Intel cores perform much better than AMD on a per thread basis, will mean better performance.

Rybo

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

Editing my original post after doing some looking, apparently the performance of the 8350 is worse in bf4 which is odd as bf4 takes advantage of more cores, obviously not.

Really purchase whichever is cheaper.

Chalkstick

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014

Really, there is no winner, just whichever is cheaper?

Rybo

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

There are trade off's with both, the 8350 will perform better in games that like more cores, the i5 will perform better in most games, but the performance difference is so little that as far as I'm concerned, whatever is cheaper is the better option.

If you ever get into video making or rendering the 8350 will mop the i5 btw,

Shahanur Dominic

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
Get i5 4460 because it has got integrated graphics that will work together with gtx970 and u can play all the games at ultra since released...though 8350 has got 8 core but they not powerfull as Intel 4 core... For gaming Intel is better.

Montblanchill

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
The integrated graphics will have nothing to do with the GTX 970.

The i5 vs AMD 8 core debate rages on as per. It is quite a bit more complicated than the AMD having 8 fully functional cores, but it is best not to go into it. In general, in almost all games at the moment, an i5 will perform better.

Despite games being able to use up 8 threads, doesn't mean it requires them. Often times a program or game is capable of doing so, however you will find that they'll heavily load 2 threads and spread the rest of the load over a possible total of 8 threads. So in reality, having those 2 main threads perform very well, in which Intel cores perform much better than AMD on a per thread basis, will mean better performance.

Solution