i5 4590 with Asrock H97 Pro4 or i5 4690k with Asus Z97 - A ?

Manel Miranda

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
Hello everyone!
After a long time reading posts from you guys here and studying on reviews on what would be the best build for me, I finally came down to 2 builds.
Im just going to include the Motherboard and CPU here because that's what I really need help with since i already have the GPU.

So, basically I will use my new computer to play video games like World of Warcraft (new expansion warlords of draeonor will push up the requirements), League of Legends, some First Person Shooter games like CS:GO and Call of Duty.If possible would like to maybe stream sometimes aswell.
My goal is to be able to play those games at max graphics and with a nice and stable FPS.

The 2 final builds I came down were:

Build 1: CPU - Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard - AsRock H97 Pro4
GPU - ASUS GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II 3GB

Buid 2: CPU - Intel Core i5 4690k
Motherboard - Asus Z97 -A
GPU - ASUS GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II 3GB

So my doubt here is regarding the price gap between those 2 builds and the performance gained between them.

Build 1 is a non OC build that is a little less expensive than the build 2 which is a OC build.

In my country the build 1 costs 671$ and build 2 costs 798$.

Do you guys think that it's worth spending more 230$ and have that OC build or the performance that I will gain is not that significant and Build 1 will do the work on the games and stream as fine as build 2?
One question that I would like to ask you aswell is about the "lifetime" of the each build, and by this I mean, will the build 2 give me much more time without upgrading anything or the 2 builds will need upgrading almost at the same time?

Thanks for your time reading this, and I really hope your answers can help me!

Solution
The i5-4430 will have the same performance ON GAMING, because most of the job is done in the GPU. As i told you, when a game is more CPU dependent, there is when you need a stronger CPU. Check if your games are more CPU dependent, because then you may need the i5-4590.

Lifetime is the same.

Brunostako

Honorable
At stock, those 2 platforms will perform equally. The only real difference is the OC capability of the Z97.

If you want to do OC, go with the Z97. If not, you can even low down to the i5-4430, the GTX 660Ti's performance does not require the 4590.

Manel Miranda

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
the 4430 will have the same performance as the 4590 and 4690k at stock?

And what about the lifetime? It will be almost the same time between those 3?

thanks for your answer by the way!

Brunostako

Honorable
The i5-4430 will have the same performance ON GAMING, because most of the job is done in the GPU. As i told you, when a game is more CPU dependent, there is when you need a stronger CPU. Check if your games are more CPU dependent, because then you may need the i5-4590.

Lifetime is the same.

Solution

Manel Miranda

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
Thanks brunostako really appreciate your help!
Although I would still like to read some more answers so I can really get to a final decision between those 2 builds.

What build would you guys go considering my goals and price/performance?

Neofyte

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Are you still deciding? I'm also deciding on a similar build, but im going to go for the more expensive CPU simply to future proof my build more so that it lasts longer for up and coming games etc. So yea, i doubt it will make a much difference in performance of your games but it will help to future proof. :)

corecomps

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I'm in the same build decision. I'm leading toward the 4590 @ $159

The 5th gen Intel's will support the 1150 and h97 chipset so between the $30 on the mono and $40 on the CPU I'm pocketing $70 that can be applied to a $160 upgrade 24 months from now...