New i7-4790 overheating

Crawlieh

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
Hello,

I just recently built a new PC with i7-4790 (not K) and obviously I'm not overclocking.

The problem is, I'm using a stock cooler and the temperatures are bothering me.

When the CPU idles 0-10% load, the temp is 30-35 - that's cool.
But whenever it gets some pressure, the temperature raises and when I run the prime95 test, it goes to 100C (max it can go, then it turns down the clock speed to cool itself down) in 10-20 seconds and stays there.
I understand that a stock cooler is "not cool" and I'm looking into buying an aftermarket one, but it really should do the trick, since it comes boxed with the CPU, right? It should just be loud and a bit hotter, but not this hot...

I have googled the shit out of this and it basically hasn't led me to anything useful that I haven't thought of.
So far I've checked, that my heatsink is properly installed (all the pushpins are through, the fan isn't blocked by anything, the heatsink is proper and steady), I updated my BIOS (because I found a thread, where an Intel employee said that this could solve it, in answer to another thread and also I have optimised my airflow as good as it gets (I have a fan sucking air into the case from the front and a fan pushing air out from the back) and I've done my cable management in a way, that nothing should drastically block the airflow. There are no wires near the CPU, anyway.

The rest of my build is:
i7-4790
GTX 770
Seasonic 620W S12II
Cooler Master K280 case
Corsair 2x4GB RAM
Toshiba 7200pm 1TB HDD

I will be thankful for any help I can get, since right now I'm really stuck... It's not actually bothering my everyday life, since the idle temperatures are low and when I game or do anything not-very-CPU-hungry, the temps stay below 60C. It's just that I'm worried why isn't my CPU able to perform at full speeds, as it should... I'm not even talking about running 100% for hours or days, merely seconds and minutes for the test...

Thank you

Even the Stock cooler can be installed incorrectly. That's my first guess when I read posts like this. My suggested test for this (Someone else here on TOm's first suggested it) is to press down on your heatsink to put more pressure on the contact with the CPU. If that shows an immediate tem drop, then you know the installation is wrong.

Secondly I'd have to tell you that the stock cooling on the newer i7 processors just won't cut 100% sustained load.

Crawlieh

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014

How can I press down my heatsink when I have a fan on it running at high speeds? Also wouldn't the heatsink be so hot that I wouldn't be able to touch it, if the temp of the CPU is 100C according to realtemp?

is the heatsink actually that hot? I doubt it. If it is, you'll be knowing that it's working, but insufficient. As for the fan - there may be a way to push down, if there isn't, then too bad, you can't test this way. Don't the fan have a frame around it? You don't have to apply 1 ton of force, just a little.

Crawlieh

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014

Alright, I managed to test it.
If I push the heatsink down by the frames on top of the cooler, no temperature drop appears. Running at 100C pretty much stable.
The heatsink is pretty warm, but not as hot as I expected (since yeah... I expected it to be hot because I hadn't touched it when it was under high pressure before).
Any other ideas? It really isn't realistic that even a CPU this powerful overheats this much with a cooler that Intel ships it with...

I saw a thread, where someone marked out that the fan might be placed the wrong way (sucking the air out, not pushing it in) but that's not the case for me either...

Crawlieh

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014

Hmm.. I read through the article and as it appears - 4th gen i7 really does throttle at 100C and it's normal to expect 90+C with smallFFT @100%...

My concern is if those temps are achieved with maybe minutes or tens of minutes. My CPU just seriously goes to 100C and throttles with merely like 10 seconds.. Doesn't matter if the lid is open or closed or if im pushing the heatsink down or not...

So you think that this is normal and I should just update my CPU cooler and not be afraid that my CPU or sensors or w.e. is faulty?

Intel is seriously a scumbag shipping a STOCK and APPROVED cooler with their processors which they know don't nearly do their jobs...

CPU heat is near instant. The CPU generates the heat when it runs. In the olden days before thermal throttling, inexperienced builders would "test" a CPU by powering it on with out a heatsink and be surprised and saddened if the CPU got damaged in <30 seconds.

As for the "Scum" part, that's a matter of opinion. You could build a PC that does stuff all day long and not overheat. You cannot run Prime95 or Aida or any one of the other "burn-in" test suites on sthe stock cooler - not without the CPU throttling down.

I've not built with stock coolers since about 2011. Since then I use 120mm or 140mm closed loop liquid coolers. I like the silence and efficient cooling on non-OC machines.

If you want to spend less, get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for about $30. That'll get the job done. Anything from there on up works well.

Crawlieh

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014

I don't really want to spend too much on a CPU cooler and I don't really have a large budget for it...
What about these coolers? Is Hyper 212 Evo better than all of those? They are all available at my local pc store:

• Xigmatek Loki II / Gaia II
    Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
    Alpenföhn Sella
    Cooler Master Hyper 103
    Scythe Lori / Katana 4 / Shuriken / Tatsumi
    Arctic Freezer i11 or 13 or i30
EDIT: Hyper 212 EVO is supposed to be 158.5mm high and my case supports 162mm (according to CM website) is that really risky or should I bet for it?

I'm really not an expert on air coolers and how they fit (or don't fit) into cases - I don't build with them anymore. I guess Cooler Master Customer support will be able to tell you if their cooler will fit in their case. Other than that, you may want to search around for a review or start a new thread on asking for air cooler advice.

Or stay away from burn-in test software. ;)

The Hyper 212 Evo is great, and it should fit. No need to start a new thread, I would be happy to help you here or in PM. You don't need to spend $300 on a nice closed loop or custom liquid cooling setup, but it is worth it to spend $30 on one like the Hyper 212 Evo. If you're worried about space or want to try water cooling, the Corsair H60 would work. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181043&cm_re=corsair_h60-_-35-181-043-_-Product It's pretty cheap refurbished, but still has a warranty.

Crawlieh

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014

I think I'm going for the old-fashioned air-cooling. :p
So it seems to me that hyper 212 evo is my best choice, assuming it will fit lol. There's no point in buying an even cheaper CPU cooler though, right? As I'm not doing any OC'ing whatsoever I assumed that the stock cooler would do the trick.. little did i know :p