250 OHM Headphones on PC, amp or dc sound?

Jason112

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
I am planning to buy headphones with 250 OHM impedance. I have Z87 mobo with alc1150. I know it will not handle 250 ohm headphones, so here is the question. What should I do, get a discrete audio that has a built-in headphones amplifier or just get a headphones amplifier?

Solution
Personally what I'm doing is just using my E11 and changing the battery if I happen to forget to charge it at night. The battery lasts for atleast 12 hours at full charge.

Standalone amps are alright, there main benefit is you might get interference with a soundcard (and in my case I did.) but an amplifier is away from your pc enough that you won't be getting interference. Also it doesn't take up a PCI-E slot.

If the sound card works for you, great, if not you can always return it.
Depends, if you can get a soundcard that can drive 250 ohm headphones for cheaper than a fiio E11 (or the desktop version) then go for it.

Its pretty much personal preference really. Soundcards don't add much to the sound quality, in fact theres various tests that show that they add little to nothing at all.

All I can say is I have a fiio E11 and it handles my DT990 250ohms as loud as I could want.

Jason112

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
Thank you for the answer. I plan to use headphones only at home, so I was looking at desktop amplifiers. They all cost ~100$ (Magni for example) and Sound Blaster Zx costs ~100$, and I am confused now. Are those standalone amplifiers really so much better?

Personally what I'm doing is just using my E11 and changing the battery if I happen to forget to charge it at night. The battery lasts for atleast 12 hours at full charge.

Standalone amps are alright, there main benefit is you might get interference with a soundcard (and in my case I did.) but an amplifier is away from your pc enough that you won't be getting interference. Also it doesn't take up a PCI-E slot.

If the sound card works for you, great, if not you can always return it.

Solution