R9 280 overclocking

Gradius1981

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
Hi guys , need your opinions on something. I tried to overclock my r9 280, which 1 of the settings will be better for 24/7 usage?

1.) clock core - 1210mhz, memory clock - 1510mhz . Idle temp - 41c , load temp - 76c.

2.) core clock - 1100mhz, memory clock - 1400mhz. Idle temp - 39c , load temp -72c.

It seems like the difference in temperatures increase / core clock is quite minimal, should i go YOLO with the overclock? Tested the above temperature readings with unigine valley benchmarks, the first setting netted around 230+ more points than the second. Using a msi gaming variant of the r9 280 by the way , thanks for reading.

Solution
If you never increase the voltage and the temps remain acceptable, then lifespan will barely (if at all) reduce.

YOu have a pretty nice GPU sample there, just think what it will do on a custom loop with some voltage increases. :D

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
A load temp of 76c for a 280 is quite good, especially if that's what you get in synthetic benchmarks, which generally stress the GPU hardware more than a real game load. If it's really stable, definitely stick with the 1.2GHz oc.

Gradius1981

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
Think its on stock voltage , i just slide the + power % on the msi afterburner to +20%. Not too sure whether it affects the voltage intake but I didnt enable the voltage unlock in the settings. Should be quite stable, been looping it in valley benchmark for 2hours or so without any crashings. Just only concerned that will it reduce the gpu's lifespan drastically but hey who doesn't like free performance lol.

If you never increase the voltage and the temps remain acceptable, then lifespan will barely (if at all) reduce.

YOu have a pretty nice GPU sample there, just think what it will do on a custom loop with some voltage increases. :D

Solution