Will R7 250 work with 250watt PSU?

GTHell

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
Hi there, I got a problem with getting a new Graphic card.

I have a 250watt PSU (didn't know it name but I'm sure it good one because it's a HP pc)
I'm low on budget(as student) and now can spend only 100-120$ so I want some advice about this.

There are people reported that HD 7750 work fine with 240watt psu. So what about this one?
anyway sorry for my annoying English :D

My specs:
Core 2 duo
2gb of ram
Geforce 210 (yeah, we all know it suck)

Thank for reply :)

Solution
65W TDP is fine with a 250W PSU, assuming it has the required amps on 12V line, which pre-builts tend to have luckily. But, you'd want to have atleast 3GB RAM to not bottleneck the system while gaming.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Maybe but I can't be sure. The GTX 750 would be a better choice versus a 7750 (uses less power and performs better) and you can find a 750 for around $100 on newegg. Plus the GTX 750 is more likely to run on your power supply without issue.

Usman Sajid

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Hp isnt that good. Well my GTX 750 ti ran on my DELL.
But i would not recommend at all there were stutters and new PSU fixed it.

Now Dell had better PSU quality and 90% efficient. HP is just to run the system alone any other thing will struggle.

I would ask you to buy a 400w power supply as that is the requirement. Below that you may not be able to claim any risk. And i believe its tdp is also high(65w) so it will require a 6pin connector which supposedly your psu will not have.

GTHell

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014

In my country it cost 200$ :/

GTHell

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014

How do you check the amps?

There is a sticker on the PSU, with info about the Amperes on different lines, like 3.3V/ 12V/ etc. If you can check and tell the Amperes on 12V lines, or upload a pic of that sticker, it'd be a lot easier to tell for sure.

GTHell

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014

do you think that I can just buy and use it and then upgrade the PSU later? anyway It doesn't require any 6pin connector. People say it's power consumption as the HD 7750 so

Nope, either it'll works or it won't. There's no middle way that it'll work for sometime. The only options that are viable are that his PSU either has the required amps, or it doesn't have them.

Usman Sajid

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Yes it will probably work but the reason i said couple of weeks that 2 times my psu exploded when i used heavy games.
I want him to change his psu as soon as possible , and also the capacitors will age and produce less power as time time goes by.

If your own PSU exploded, then you should never say it'll work for sometime.
You're lucky your PSU didn't take any components with it.
@OP don't take the chance. My own 250W power supply shut down twice when running games on a Geforce 210.
Now I upgraded to a Corsair CX430 and I use a GTX650 now, which runs perfectly fine.