fx-8350 vs intel i5 4670k

Akhan1

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
So as of now, I have a 850watt psu, a Radeon R9 280x, and a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler.

Now all I need is a cpu/mobo/ram combo.

I am looking between the i5 4670k and the amd fx8350.

I will probably crossfire my gpu's in the future, and i'm not too much of a gamer either. I'll probably play world of warcraft when the new expansion comes out, and play battlefield 4, but i'm not really a hard core games. I'll also be using this computer on a 40' hdtv.

Probably mostly going to be doing homework on it, and watching online video lectures. But if I crossfire a r9 280x will the fx-8350 bottleneck?

Also, I will probably want to play future games on ultra settings. I've heard that future games will be using 8 cores, so will the amd be better, or are each of their cores too slow that it wouldn't really matter when that time frame comes?

JamesHeller

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

fx 8350 wouldn't bottleneck r9 280x crossfire
but i5 4670K is just better
Intel processors bear better single core performance than of amd
I would recommend the i5 4670K it is unlocked so easy to overclock

Akhan1

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014

Kinda, I never had a dual gpu rig, and what's $150? I can get another used r9 280x off ebay for that and experience dual gpu's and prob do more than play wow, but I guess it's one of those things you just want to try.

But why does the fx-8350 do better in bf4 or equivalent?

viewtyjoe

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014

Or you could overclock the i5 similarly. The 8350 is far enough behind the i5 in per core performance that even with half the cores, the i5 wins in most gaming benchmarks, because very few games can utilize more than four cores, if more than two, even.

Vishera is based on what AMD has already decided is a dead-end architecture. Buying a dead-end when you have the resources to get the best architecture out there currently doesn't make sense. No one here aside from a few crazies is going to argue for the 8350 in any gaming case. If you want it, we obviously can't stop you, but don't try and get us to justify the purchase, because we won't.

Akhan1

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
Then the i5 it is. But what I am wondering is how future proof will the i5 4670k be? Are new games all going to be 8 cores where the i5 4670k will be pointless 2 years down the road? Also, if I run 2x radeon r9 280x in crossfire, which would bottle neck first, the i5 or the r9?

viewtyjoe

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014

Some facts:
The 8350 doesn't even support PCIe 3.0, that's done via motherboard magic if it's done at all.
People have been saying "New games will use eight cores" for as long as we've had them, very few utilize more than four. If I remember correctly, the PS4 and XBone are both quad-cores, so it's unlikely that trend will change in the near term.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1727854

skip those and go with this... or just piece out the stuff yourself.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $446.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-02 00:19 EDT-0400

When considering CPUs there are many facets to look into:

Single core vs multi core.

Single threaded vs Multi threaded performance.

Due to native architecture of Intel CPUs, their cores are very strong as compared to the AMD. That is why Intel has few but powerful cores whereas AMD has more cores but they are not at par with Intel.

Most of the games utilize a few cores not more cores. This is the very reason i5 is recommended for games. However, in heavy desktop apps you may get benefited from AMD's 6/8 core CPUs. More or less Intel is preferable if you have budget.

I'll recommend you to grab i5 4690k as it is of the same price as i5 4670k along with Z97 chipset series mobo like Asus Hero VII, Gigabyte Z97 Gaming series 5 mobo etc.

Buy RAM at 1600MHz with CAS of 9 or less.

For your stated needs you actually don't need CF.

I own an 8 core piledriver cpu. At work i work with top end haswell i5s and i7s all the time. I feel like i have a pretty solid understanding of the differences between the two.

Strictly for gaming, the i5 is better. You'd have to overclock that fx8 core up to 4.7 or higher to match a stock i5 in gaming performance.

Now, i do a lot of multitasking and i used a lot of heavily threaded stuff in my day to day use of computers, both at home and work, if you'd NOT GAMING but you plan on doing a lot of multitasking and other stuff the fx8 cores are a good and cheap alternative to an i7. With what i do with a pc, i'd rather this 8 core over an i5 every day of the week. I can tell when i'm on an i5, i can lag the heck out of one on a daily basis. I don't have that experience much on an i7 or an fx8 core. Frankly i can even lag up a stock i7 from time to time...

however i must highlight what i just said one more time to make it crystal clear. IF I WAS GAMING or GAMING WAS MY SOLE FOCUS, i'd take an intel i5 over this 8 core fx every single day of the week.

Now then onto the rest of your posts.
1) you won't overclock an 8 core fx with a hyper evo 212 up to 4.7+ ghz... it's not happening.
2) i wouldn't suggest getting an r9-280x with the plan of getting another down the road for xfire. the r9-280x doesn't work well in xfire. That said, since you already have one, get an intel over an amd cpu, as there is a performance drop off in xfire when you use an amd cpu (due to the slow memory controler)... it's not a huge drop off but it's enough to make a difference.
3) WoW will run much better with an intel cpu then an amd cpu.

Yes, this is a good mobo. Consider it.