i5 4590 vs fx 8350 (or 4460 vs 8370)

girdwood

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
I keep reading that the i5 is better for gaming; I understand it's a newer tech, and stronger cores vs more cores, however, the 8350 has a bigger l2 and l3 and clocks faster, and is unlocked. Can someone explain to me what exactly it is in the i5 that makes it a better gaming processor? Every benchmark and comparison I see (by tech sites) gives the advantage to AMD, but all of the threads I read HIGHLY recommend i5 over the fx.

I haven't built a machine since my Athlon II x4 630, 6gb of RAM, 1 TB HD; this year I plan on a new build, mostly a light work desktop, however, I want the capability to game in case my ASUS G550 JK (I prefer gaming laptops for portability) takes a crap. I want to keep my processor/motherboard costs under $400, and I am not concerned with an ULTIMATE gaming rig, or overclocking. Mostly, I want a mid power tower that will suffice gaming at 1080p with my 650ti for the next 3 years or so.

Also where does the 8370 fit? I cannot find much information comparative wise with it at all.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4...

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4590-vs-AMD-FX-83...

References.

Solution
Intel's architecture is focused on better IPC performance which results into better single core/single threaded performance. AMD's architecture is weak in IPC which resulted into weaker single threaded performance.

For example, let's take the 4690k vs 8350.
It's like take 4 super cores vs 8 weak cores.
Games at the moment prefer stronger cores over weaker ones and FPS is more stable and higher on an i5.

TheDualshock

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
In multithread heavy workloads that utilize more cores, the 8 core FX has the advantage here. The reason why i5s are recommended over FXs is because Intel's single core performance/single threaded largely dominates AMDs. Because of this, alot of games still rely on more single threaded power and thus giving better FPS to i5s. That's the reason why even everyone recommends i5s over FXs. The FX-8370 is the same as a 8350 but with maybe 1~% more performance. It's clock speed is 100Mhz more than the 8350.

TheDualshock

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Intel's architecture is focused on better IPC performance which results into better single core/single threaded performance. AMD's architecture is weak in IPC which resulted into weaker single threaded performance.

For example, let's take the 4690k vs 8350.
It's like take 4 super cores vs 8 weak cores.
Games at the moment prefer stronger cores over weaker ones and FPS is more stable and higher on an i5.

Solution

girdwood

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

Out of curiosity what made you pick the FX core? You prefer AMD builds?

TheDualshock

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

They are decent CPUs and put out good frame rates. Intel is obviously better but at the time of building my PC. I was on a budget so I went with the AMD route. Right now I could swap to Intel if I want but for me it isn't worth swapping since I play games that aren't taxing at all. Maybe later on I'll build an Intel based machine.

girdwood

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

Parts upgrade list for mid power gamin tower in a mid tower mini ATX form factor. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wM8Zqs
Ideas?