FX 6300 stable at 55 degrees using stock fan, can I overclock it?

coconutoil

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I stressed my CPU with OCCT for 20 mins and the temp is stable at 55 degrees. I want to overclock it and see what happens.
Should I? I don't have money for a professional cooler, nor I can open the case and take out the mainboard to install a cooler.
I have GB 990XA-UD3
XFX 550watt Bronze
1 stick 8GB RAM 1600

Solution
Why can't you open your case? I would learn how to open a case before learning how to overclock. Wax on, wax off, grasshopper.

mosti

Honorable
May 26, 2013
If you can't afford $40 for an aftermarket cooler, I doubt youd be able to afford $150 for a new cpu when you cook it. Amd are hot cards, don't try overclocking on a stock cooler.

coconutoil

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I know how to open my case, but I live in an area far from the company that I bought the computer. If anything happened I will spend a lot of money getting them the case to fix.
I just want an easy to install cooler.

Learning to open the case is a prerequisite step to installing a cooler.

If you can't be assed to do that because you are afraid you might break something, what the hell are you going to do when you FUBAR your overclock?

mosti

Honorable
May 26, 2013
This is the biggest facepalm I've ever seen!
you're scared to open your case because you don't want to "break" anything yet you want to overclock an amd on a stock cooler? Kid, if you don't know how to open a case you shouldn't even consider a cpu overclock. If you can't spare the low cost for an aftermarket fan you shouldn't even ask questions on increasing your pc's performance.

mosti

Honorable
May 26, 2013
There is no easy solution. If you can't install an aftermarket cooler or have someone install one for you then you SHOULD NOT be overclocking your card. There are no tricks or shortcuts with this.

mosti

Honorable
May 26, 2013

I honestly don't see what you're trying to do apart from gaining sympathy. You want to overclock your cpu..okay. But you don't have an aftermark cooler....so no, you can't overclock your cpu. Sympathy is not going to overclock it for you champ. If you would like advice on what cooler to get, post back here.

mosti

Honorable
May 26, 2013

Probably? You should definitely not overclock your cpu unless you want to throw it in the bin.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

^Get this, then you can overclock. But lets really take a deeper look at why you want to overclock your cpu. What games are you currently playing and what are you hoping to achieve with overclocking the cpu?

Ricardo Waitos

Honorable
Oct 10, 2014
Buy an aftermarket cooler. I installed the Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo to my FX6300. Currently running a stable 4.4ghz. Providing you are Tech savvy and are willing to do a fair few hours of research before diving in, you shouldn't experience any problems. The actual overclocking is more time consuming than difficult, patience and increase in small increments is the way forward...

Fitting the 212 evo is not difficult, the bracket is a poor fit and needs a bit on manipulating (at least it did on my AM3+ board). Just make sure you apply the correct amount of good quality thermal paste and seat it correctly.

Ricardo Waitos

Honorable
Oct 10, 2014

:pt1cable:

If this isn't picked as thread solution there surely in not a God.

coconutoil

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011