I3 4370 OR I5 3570k For ITX Build

Thelburg

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
I am build a small ITX computer, I am going to be using the I5 OEM cooler or similar for cooler.
I already own both the I5 3570K and a I3 4370 but, I cant decide which to use for the CPU. I will be using discrete graphics and more than likely the highest-end GPU will be a GTX 750 ti. It is what fits my budget. For RAM it will be 8GBs of DDR3. Hard drive will either be an SSD or SSHD just depending on which is easier to free up. I will be playing games, I mostly play Star Craft 2 or other RTS games, and the occasional Guild Wars 2. I have enough PSU to handle either set up.

For Mobo the I5 3570K is a GIGABYTE GA-Z77N-WIFI
For the I3 4370 I have a ASRock H97M-ITX

For the I3 the mobo allows for a larger cooler,

Solution
Click the 2nd blue box in my signature to see my i3-4130 750ti system and you can make some judgements there.

The i3 won't need a big cooler, the stock cooler will be fine.

Thelburg

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014

Thank you for the results, while I know the I5 is faster I wasn’t so sure the I3 was so far behind it. I am currently using the Cooler master Geminii M4. And I like the temps it is keeping. But it is nice to know I have the OEM handy.

I am currently using a GT 730 1GB GDDR5. And I was not seeing the numbers I want to see in games. I did some testing since my original post, and my I3 cores are sitting at about 40-50% during most games while my GPU is maxing out. So your results crossed with mine tell me any short falls I am currently having had nothing to do with CPU but GPU.

Unfortunately my current case does not allow for a dual slot GPU. I have another case but its PSU is only a 220W. So it looks like there is more testing in my future…