If my i5-750 is running at 3.8GHz, should I bother upgrading to i7-4790K or Haswell-E?

FnkyTwn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I built a solid i5-750 (@3.8GHz on Air) system back in 2009, and I'm wondering if it's time to bite the bullet and upgrade. I mostly just do gaming with the box at this point, and I'm wondering if sticking a GTX770 (replacing a GTX650ti) in it will be sufficient to get me through the next year or so?

I'll admit that I'm interested in the 4790K, mostly because I like the idea that the mobo will take the next generation of chip. I'm not too keen on Haswell-E at this point, mostly due to DDR4.

From a gaming standpoint, will I gain more from upgrading the GPU or the CPU? And overall, is it a good time to upgrade the CPU due to the somewhat futureproofness of Broadwell?

I have plenty of RAM and a great PSU.

Solution
I wouldn't look at the 4970K with intention of replacing it next gen. though this is based on you having a 750 now and not following a yearly upgrade cycle. If you want to do an upgrade like that I'd look at a low end LGA1150 CPU.

A 770 would be a good boost now and might even be a bit much. Though watch what you pay, the 280X is more powerful and can often be found for less than the 770.

baazing

Reputable
Feb 14, 2014
I recently upgraded from an i7 920 to an i7 5820k (nehalem to haswell, same as you're considering) and while I definitely noticed an improvement, it wasn't anything earth shattering. I would definitely consider upgrading your graphics first and then later upgrading your cpu, as you'll notice more of an immediate improvement that way. You should also consider a 970 instead of a 770, as it has quite a few new features over the 770 and outperforms a 780. Good luck on making your choice!

menetlaus

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I wouldn't look at the 4970K with intention of replacing it next gen. though this is based on you having a 750 now and not following a yearly upgrade cycle. If you want to do an upgrade like that I'd look at a low end LGA1150 CPU.

A 770 would be a good boost now and might even be a bit much. Though watch what you pay, the 280X is more powerful and can often be found for less than the 770.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS