$400 Gaming Build (reuse power supply, hard drive, graphics card?)

TKpro

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Hi all,

I recently built a sweet, beautiful mini-ITX computer with your help and I had given my old computer (Intel Core2 Duo E8400, 4GB ram, GTX 560ti) to my girlfriend, who uses it for light gaming (LoL, Civilization V, other things of that performance intensity). Unfortunately, after a reinstall of windows it seems to be crapping out and randomly crashing, stuttering, and freezing. Before I built my new PC, the old one had been crashing as well, I had just figured reinstalling windows and updating everything would do the trick. Alas, it didn't.

So, now she wants to build a new one. She has a keyboard, monitor, mouse, headset, and Windows, wants to spend roughly $400, and if possible reuse the graphics card (EVGA GTX560ti), power supply (Corsair HX 520), and hard drive (Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB).

First off, is it reasonable to reuse those parts? Although the power supply and hard drive were purchases in 2008, they seem to be working flawlessly. I think the graphics card, which was bought in 2011, is working alright, but the old computer has been having some problems with the display not receiving a signal when turned on and I am not sure if it is the card causing the freezes (image from game freezes, noise blurs, and game becomes unresponsive). I figured we could just try using the GTX 560ti and upgrade to a GTX 750ti if it is causing issues in the new build.

So, with that in mind she is looking to get a locked Intel CPU, a micro-ATX motherboard (most likely an H97), 8GB of RAM, a micro-ATX case, and possibly a 128GB or 256GB SSD depending on if she needs a new graphics card.

This is what I have come up with so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($27.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $289.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-12 22:25 EDT-0400

I was also considering the i3-4130 for $108.99 from NCIXUS, but I think they charge shipping whereas I would buy the i3-4160 from Newegg.com where I still have a week or so on my trial period for their premier service, which includes free shipping.

As for the memory, the G.Skill Ares is only $72 but so is the Ripjaw series and the Kingston Hyperx Furyis $73.99, so I will just go with whichever one y'all recommend.

Went with the simplest and cheapest micro-ATX motherboard I could find from a reputable company and then found a cheap but solid case.

If anyone has any thoughts on reusing those parts, what would be the best addition with the last $100, or if there would be a better way to build this, please chime in.

Thanks.

menetlaus

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Careful with microATX and the Corsair PSU - might be an issue if that PSU is too long.

That i3 is not unlocked and I am not sure if that is one of the H-series boards that supports overclocking. You could stick with the cheaper non-unlocked CPU for now and get an overclocking friendly board, and in time replace the I3 with a 4670K, 4790K, or similar.

TKpro

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Hey menetlaus,

Thanks for pointing out the potential length issue with the PSU, I hadn't thought about that. I'll make sure to check that.

I said unlocked in my original post but I actually meant locked CPU. Sorry about that mistake and the resulting confusion.

TRENDING THREADS