Solved

can i mix two different types of ram?

i have decided to upgrade my pc ram but, i have a little doubt.i have 1 crucial ballistix sport 1333mhz ddr3 ram installed but i want to buy a corsair vengence 1600 mhz ram.so i want to know if
mixing these will cause any problem.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about mix types ram
  1. PCkid525 said:
    i have decided to upgrade my pc ram but, i have a little doubt.i have 1 crucial ballistix sport 1333mhz ddr3 ram installed but i want to buy a corsair vengence 1600 mhz ram.so i want to know if
    mixing these will cause any problem.


    all it will do is force the 1600mhz rams to slow down to 1333mhz and nothing further ..
  2. also mixing different rams is not recommended, the computer will just slow down and cause the rams to work at the the rate of the 1333mhz crucial ballistix so it will be like all your installed ram is 1333mhz
  3. jbrown156 said:
    PCkid525 said:
    i have decided to upgrade my pc ram but, i have a little doubt.i have 1 crucial ballistix sport 1333mhz ddr3 ram installed but i want to buy a corsair vengence 1600 mhz ram.so i want to know if
    mixing these will cause any problem.


    all it will do is force the 1600mhz rams to slow down to 1333mhz and nothing further ..

    ok but what about the difference in company ( crucial and corsair),will that cause any issues.
  4. PCkid525 said:
    jbrown156 said:
    PCkid525 said:
    i have decided to upgrade my pc ram but, i have a little doubt.i have 1 crucial ballistix sport 1333mhz ddr3 ram installed but i want to buy a corsair vengence 1600 mhz ram.so i want to know if
    mixing these will cause any problem.


    all it will do is force the 1600mhz rams to slow down to 1333mhz and nothing further ..

    ok but what about the difference in company ( crucial and corsair),will that cause any issues.


    well if the rams have different latencies and and voltage configs then it might cause the sticks to move like crap .. i suggest that you take out the 1333mhz ram get another 1600mhz corsair ,, i dont know in dept detail the complete effect of mixing manufacturers but i know it will slow down the rams drastically and that is enough to let you know its not worth slowing down the systems ram for a old stick
  5. jbrown156 said:
    PCkid525 said:
    jbrown156 said:
    PCkid525 said:
    i have decided to upgrade my pc ram but, i have a little doubt.i have 1 crucial ballistix sport 1333mhz ddr3 ram installed but i want to buy a corsair vengence 1600 mhz ram.so i want to know if
    mixing these will cause any problem.


    all it will do is force the 1600mhz rams to slow down to 1333mhz and nothing further ..

    ok but what about the difference in company ( crucial and corsair),will that cause any issues.


    well if the rams have different latencies and and voltage configs then it might cause the sticks to move like crap .. i suggest that you take out the 1333mhz ram get another 1600mhz corsair ,, i dont know in dept detail the complete effect of mixing manufacturers but i know it will slow down the rams drastically and that is enough to let you know its not worth slowing down the systems ram for a old stick

    I just checked,both of the have the same latencies(9) and volt(1.5).so it wont cause problems?
    & i do plan on getting more sticks later & replacing the 1333mhz.
  6. Don't mix RAM sticks. Plain and simple.
  7. Best answer
    ok kool then they should work with the exception of the rams working at 1333mhz ,,that still remains the same until you get the upgrade you said ypu would
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Crucial Memory