5820 x 5930

galta

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
According to Tomshardware, 5820 performs better than 5930 when gaming @1440.
Does anybody know any results when at higher resolutions?
Best,
Galta

Solution
Be aware that currently GTX970/GTX980 cards are in short supply.
Hopefully, by mid November there will be good availability.
There is no problem at all with a 4790K and a good Z97 based motherboard.
With the savings, you can afford to up the graphics to GTX980 cards.
If your case permits, use a tower type air cooler with 140mm fans. Noctua and Phanteks are very good.
Liquid cooling does not make sense to me.

I might question the need for 32gb of ram. No game really uses more than 2-3gb. 16gb would be my pick.
Look at 1.5v ddr3 1866 ram. Faster adds perhaps 1%.

On the graphics cards, I would look first to cards with titan blower colers if you will be running dual cards.
A blower gets het out of your case more efficiently.
Here is...

galta

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
I understand that GPU has the upper hand in performance at higher resolutions.
The thing is that I am about to build a new computer primarily for gaming and thought that it probably doesn`t make much sense to buy anything other than a i7 5xxx.
Would you recommend something else?

DubbleClick

Admirable
For gaming?
If you're going with a single or dual card setup and don't plan to add a third one, go with an i5 4690k and a z97 board and a decent aftermarket cooler.
That basically saves you $600 and gives you the same results.

i7 in general is for rendering or other very cpu heavy applications. The extreme series are for those seeking the ultimate, willing to pay a HEAVY extra for little performance gains.

With your budget, I suggest the i7-4790K.
The individual clock rate at stock(4.0/4.4 turbo) is really all you need for gaming.
It can go higher with added overclocking, but then you are getting into more dangerous 24/7 vcore levels.
Few games will use the 6 or 8 cores of haswell-E.
The individual core clocks of the -E will be limited by the tdp limits.

The X99 builds are much more expensive, better to use the extra $ for better graphics.

Do you have a budget and a prospective build?

galta

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

My prospective build was:

- i7 5820/5930 (depending on the overall consensus here...)
- 2 x asus strix GTX970
- 32GB DDR4 Crucial
- MSI x99s xpower ac
The remaining stuff (PSU, monitor, hard drives/SSD etc.) has already been purchased.

Just to give some perspective: I live in Brazil and should buy this stuff on my next trip to the US in mid-november.
The reason why I mention it is because up-grading locally is not an option due to local cost of components; instead, I would have to wait for a next trip (that's why I've mentioned "future proof" early on).
Thanks

Be aware that currently GTX970/GTX980 cards are in short supply.
Hopefully, by mid November there will be good availability.
There is no problem at all with a 4790K and a good Z97 based motherboard.
With the savings, you can afford to up the graphics to GTX980 cards.
If your case permits, use a tower type air cooler with 140mm fans. Noctua and Phanteks are very good.
Liquid cooling does not make sense to me.

I might question the need for 32gb of ram. No game really uses more than 2-3gb. 16gb would be my pick.
Look at 1.5v ddr3 1866 ram. Faster adds perhaps 1%.

On the graphics cards, I would look first to cards with titan blower colers if you will be running dual cards.
A blower gets het out of your case more efficiently.
Here is one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487068

Solution

galta

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
I'm following GTX 9xx series low availability. Hope it improves by the time I travel.
Interesting idea to move $ from cpu to gpu.
On cooling, I've already bought a Swiftech H220, so I'm going liquid.
32Gb of RAM are overkill for games, but as I said, system is primarily for games but used for some work at home. Just thought about playing safe. That said, +1 on fast memory. From my previous experience, close to no gains at all.
Thank you very much.

DubbleClick

Admirable
Yeah, with that budget the i7 4790k would be a great choice. It sells for ~$280 at micro center, a good z97 board is $120.
As for the gpu's, I'd stick with two good 970's. Either EVGA superclocked or Gigabyte Sniper G1. The G1 is faster than the reference 980 gtx, but only costs half as much. Of course the 980 could be overclocked and beat the 970 again, but for even for 4k gaming I'd doubt the benefit/price point.
And for 1440p, even a single 970 would suffice for great framerates.

As for ram, 16 gb are really enough. I'm with 16gb and never even come to use 8gb, except for rendering really large files.
As geofelt said, 1866mhz cl8/9 is enough. I'd personally just pick the cheapest 1866-2400 mhz ram you can find, they are often very similary priced until that.

And if you can, put in a noctua nh-d15. Greatest performance/noise ratio there is. With outstanding performance, too. On the same performance level as a h100i, sometimes even a bit better. While the h100i is at 46dba and the noctua keeps quiet at 34dba.