~700$ pc build

ReLisk

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Hello,
My aim is (now that ive graduated and getting some cash from job etc) to save and make my first build. The situation is such that for my current pc (acer aspire ax3950) i had bought some extra stuff. I had bought a graphics card (forgot its name but do not really have intentions to use it back in new build), and due to buying that i needed a better psu so i got a corsair cx430. so what i am wondering is (Since i plan to use back the 1tb hdd from my current pc its cost is excluded) can i use the cx430 with this build and instead of buying the one i listed? and can my cd drives etc be placed in the new build also?(i mean i dnt rlly care but it feels odd having a pc with no cd drive).

Here is the build i put so far:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DnMm7P

In the watt section in this build it says i only need 403W which is why i wonder if i can just keep my psu? also to be honest took me a lot of hours to get to this build i have no clue about motherboards and just picked one i saw in some other similar priced builds (same for the case) so i guess my next question would be, is this a good build or can it be done better and if so tell me please? also i was wondering if i can use the cpu fan that came in my pc on the new build or do i need a new one?

also as you can see i put a Beast of a gpu in it so maybe i should take it down a couple notches?
i basically decided to go with the idea that i get a powerful single gpu and down the line when it starts to become not so powerful i crossfire it with a similar 1 which should take me even farther into the future.

and is the cpu the best choice or should i take it up or down a notch?

Thank you for reading my jumbled thoughts.

ps. budget limit was meant to be $700 but notice the build i listed is $728 so ya. I'm think my budget puts me in a odd spot between balancing high end and mid level.

Solution
CAS 9 is a measure of how long it takes for the RAM to respond . LOWER numbers are better . 1600 MHz and 9-9-9-24 is the sweet spot for price and performance

The antec HCG is a good psu . The corsair is less good but OK , the XFX is probably the best of them

Teemis AMD board is the one with issues .
The intel boards are all OK
But the gigabyte he suggested would be my choice for an intel build , and the price is right
They are budget boards but that wont hurt performance with your processor
A B85 chip set board manufactured more than a few months ago might need a BIOS update to run an i5 4460 so to make sure compatibility is guaranteed I have swapped out the board for one using the latest H97 chipset , and changed the RAM color...

JimDeezy

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Yes 650 is recommended for that card, your CD drives can definitely be used easily if you're using a Windows OS, I have an OEM cd drive and copy of windows on my new build, I also salvaged my RAM so anything you can salvage off your current PC would be beneficial- except the PSU

Also, that intel processor should come with its own fan heat sink.

You could think about the FX-8350 processor it's in that rage, however that intel i5 is also has high ratings. Keep in mind the board is great at the price but only supports ram clocked up to 1600Mhz. I'm pretty sure that means your 1866Mhz would clock down, but anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Teemi

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX Video Card ($329.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $718.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-14 23:10 EDT-0400

I would do this instead if you're ok with mail in rebates.

Teemi

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($139.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($54.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $691.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-14 23:25 EDT-0400

Or something like this to keep it strictly under $700.

teemi that motherboard would melt

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Gzw8xr
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Gzw8xr/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($139.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-15 00:17 EDT-0400

is still under $700 . The GTX 970 is a great idea , either in the intel i5 or FX build

ReLisk

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
I am back.

Switch the the 4460. Its faster and cheaper. As for the case, get the 200r

why is the 200r better? and also i read that tho 4460 has a higher ghz its performance is less than the 4430?(which is why its cheaper)

Yes 650 is recommended for that card, your CD drives can definitely be used easily if you're using a Windows OS, I have an OEM cd drive and copy of windows on my new build, I also salvaged my RAM so anything you can salvage off your current PC would be beneficial- except the PSU

Also, that intel processor should come with its own fan heat sink.

You could think about the FX-8350 processor it's in that rage, however that intel i5 is also has high ratings. Keep in mind the board is great at the price but only supports ram clocked up to 1600Mhz. I'm pretty sure that means your 1866Mhz would clock down, but anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

i c people below u recommending a 620W is that okay? and cool nice to kno i can salvage other stuff :) does it make sense then to go down to a 1600 raM? or go up to a a mother board capable of 1866mhz?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $718.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-14 23:10 EDT-0400

I would do this instead if you're ok with mail in rebates.

i dnt live in america so mail in rebates are probably not possibled right? and if they are they prolly are a hassle.. i like the psu u listed tho is 620w suffiecient as others have said i need a 650W. it seems i misread as more people seem to be leaning towards the i5-4460 so maybe i will switch that too. also alot of people (in other posts too) have put that case as the one to get is it rlly that good?

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($139.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($54.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-14 23:25 EDT-0400

Or something like this to keep it strictly under $700.

i have read that there is no real improvement in terms of gaming and graphics after 4 cores so i wonder if the cpu u listed is worth it?(keep in mind im noob with this stuff ) i notice the memory u listed is 1600 so maybe i should go down to that type since most boards listed here dont seem to be 1866 capable so theres no point getting that type of ram huh? so thats 2 votes for the gtx 970 huh seems likes this is rlly better its also more expensive too. also another nzxt case lol. err the psu u listed is way below what others are saying i need wont that be a prob?

Thanks for all the fast responses guys sorry for my slow reply as by the time i noticed people responded there were a bunch so i had to take the time to go through each. Also something just came to mind i read somewhere that it is possible to actually feed a psu str8 into the gpu and get another for the other stuff(mobo etc) can that work here (just doing 1 last check for if the cx430 is done for).

*slight ps here not sure if the way i did the quote thing worked so incase it didnt im rllllllllyyyy sorry and can some1 explain how to make a propper quote?*

getting 404 errors here to cant post O_O.....

Teemi

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
The new nvidia cards use much less energy and so you only need a 500 watt psu. They are also quieter, cooler, and a good value. I only put the amd 8 cores there because that's the best cpu you can get while keeping the price below $700.

The gtx 970 is more powerful graphically , but draws less power so you can save on the power supply . 500 watts is enough .

The AMD FX cores and intel cores are not exactly the same thing . Some games improve on the FX and some are not so good . Games like BF4 will use all available cores . Expect all future games to use all the cores they can
Either way I think the builds based on the GTX 970 are better options .

The case is personal choice for you . But the challenger is just a bit cheaply built [ despite the price ] and isnt as good as any of the other cases mentioned here IMO

Yeah website is having 404 issues ATM. 4430 does not perform better.. Thats bullshark. Same everything except frequency which means no matter what the 4460 is better. I prefer the 200r due to it having a really long maximum card length and it has front panel USB 3.0. For a budget case that is pretty good. Get 1600MHz RAM with CAS 9

Teemi

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
I have the 200r case. I may just be unlucky and got a bad case, but I'm having an issue with the case being suddenly noisy unless I give it a tap. It just seems like the plastic hard-drive bays have trouble keeping the vibrations down. I know that at least several other people have reported this issue. It does go away when I give it a tap though so it's weird.

The 4460 is Haswell refresh . Should be identical electrically but the heat spreader, or the thermal goop under it , should be better quality than the 4430.

Definitely the 4460 if you are going intel

ReLisk

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
The 4460 is Haswell refresh . Should be identical electrically but the heat spreader, or the thermal goop under it , should be better quality than the 4430.

Definitely the 4460 if you are going intel

based on what i read here : http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2281736/4460-8320-mobo-gaming.html

i think i will go with the i5-4460. and i guess i will go with the 200r case / the nzxt since people seem to be behind them i will check em out and pick either. I am also completley sold on the gtx 970 so i will get that. G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory also seems to be good so i think i will get this also.
*side note what is cas 9? and does that ripjaw have it lol?

I think i will stick with the psu i chose or switch to teemi's antec psu as it has more Watts and is cheaper than mine listed? o_O so let me go pcpartpicker it and be right back.

O lastly i see dif motherboard suggestions but to be honest with you im not sure why one is better than the other i only kno in terms of like the ram thing mentioned previously or usb 3.0 or how many sata ports are available so idk i might just go with the one outlander suggested since teei's wud explode lol... but idk why i am going with it :(.

ReLisk

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
so after doing all that i got a $730 total price. (as the i5-4460 is more expensive than the fx. i get why u were saying fx now outlander but i think i will still stick with the i5-4460) but i made a pretty obv mistake :

Potential Issues/Incompatibilities
Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor and Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard are not compatible.
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the NZXT Source 210 Window ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports.
The NZXT Source 210 Window ATX Mid Tower Case supports video cards up to 330mm long, but video cards over 230mm may block drive bays. Since the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX Video Card is 241mm long, some drive bays may not be usable.

yah intel doesnt go with that mobo lol... yea so in need of a mobo guys :) lol. also is the problem about the case gonna be an issue? cuz i kinda just went with the nzxt cuz it has a window which i thought was a lil cool atleast plus it was cheaper than the 200r lol.

CAS 9 is a measure of how long it takes for the RAM to respond . LOWER numbers are better . 1600 MHz and 9-9-9-24 is the sweet spot for price and performance

The antec HCG is a good psu . The corsair is less good but OK , the XFX is probably the best of them

But the gigabyte he suggested would be my choice for an intel build , and the price is right

A B85 chip set board manufactured more than a few months ago might need a BIOS update to run an i5 4460 so to make sure compatibility is guaranteed I have swapped out the board for one using the latest H97 chipset , and changed the RAM color so it matches .!!!

Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($64.78 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($329.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $738.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-15 01:39 EDT-0400

Solution

ReLisk

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
ok according to another link i read the fx-8320 is cheaper and better.. so im confused again. it seems what ur saying is my choices are 2 combo's

the fx-8320 with the mobo u suggested.
OR
The i5-4460 with the mobo teemi had suggested right?

which of these combo's is actually better?

*sigh my previous response got lost cuz of all the 404 error happening.. so retyped this*

ReLisk

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH leave me ALONE 404 ERROR... i swear im gonna have nightmares with the number 404 appearing infront of me now...

typing this again: ya my above post was b4 u editted ur post outlander. but i like the build u just posted so my question stands then which is better the build u just posted or a build with the fx-8320 and another mobo?
the reason i ask is this link makes the fx-8320 look way better:
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/365/AMD_FX-Series_FX-8320_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-4460.html

but i do think i like the build u posted tho :).

I think you can flip a coin and go either way . Game performance will be the same .

The AMD [with the mb] I suggested will encode video faster .
It could also be overclocked .
It uses more power , but the difference is about $15 a year so not a huge deal

The intel will be better with older game engines . Skyrim , Starcraft etc will play better

On balance I think I would build the intel if I had the extra money for my edited build , but if you must stay under $700 then the AMD build is a solid choice and actually includes a higher quality motherboard

ReLisk

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012

hmm aight i think ima trust u then man outlander :). so thank you very much for your help man! same to the rest of u guys thanks for ur suggestions! there is only one last bonus question rlly. is ncix.us a good trustworthy site? never used b4.

llastly another ty to yall :D

Relisk just so you aren't depending on one man here: everything outlander is saying perfectly true and he gave you great advice. NCIX is one of the leading hRdwsre distributors in both Canada and the US. Newegg is my second favourite while ncix being my first for American distributors