Need 2015 tech shift advice for current build

Starfadedblack

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
So let me pick the community's noggin for a minute. I am going for a new build from scratch in a few weeks to replace my current that I just gave to the rents to replace theirs. Here is the parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/starfadedblack/saved/Yg6NnQ. I do heavy gaming/CPU overclocking. I chose the G3258 because I'm just going to overclock the tar out of it and use it until Broadwell but that's where I hit a dilemma. From what I understand about Skylake, it will use the 100-series chipset which may render Broadwell's reign fairly short. If that's the case, then that would make spending the extra $$ now on a MB quite foolish. I was not that impressed with x99, mainly from $$$ unless you can persuade me. So do you think going to a cheaper board and keeping the G3258 until Skylake? No? 2015's tech shift has got me befuddled.

Edit: I know I have a micro-ATX case listed but it's meant to be Mini-ITX. Updated link

Solution
Don't build for the future its always a bad move. From what i have seen broadwell is pretty much going to be more mobile platform focussed, its a 'tick' in intels progression system so it wont be a huge improvement.

EDIT: should probably explain the tick thing. Intel has a name for their progression, a tick in the tick-tock is a die shrink and a tock is a new microarchitecture. Haswell was a tock as it was a new architecture from Ivy, Ivy was a tick as its a die shrink of Sandy. So basically broadwell is to haswell as ivy is to sandy. Not a huge improvement

smackers_12

Honorable
Don't build for the future its always a bad move. From what i have seen broadwell is pretty much going to be more mobile platform focussed, its a 'tick' in intels progression system so it wont be a huge improvement.

EDIT: should probably explain the tick thing. Intel has a name for their progression, a tick in the tick-tock is a die shrink and a tock is a new microarchitecture. Haswell was a tock as it was a new architecture from Ivy, Ivy was a tick as its a die shrink of Sandy. So basically broadwell is to haswell as ivy is to sandy. Not a huge improvement

Solution