Manojmadman

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
Hi fellow gamers, below is my spec Intel i7 4790
Asrock z97 extreme3
16 gb Transcend ram
R9 290 msi twin frozr gaming
Corsair rm 750w gold psu

I notice that in games like ryse and shadow of mordor I am not able to maintain steady 60 fps. It drops and peaks unevenly between 40-60

I notice that I never go above 80c temp and fan speed is also very slow. I believe my card is being throttled to keep temp in control.

So I set the fan speed to 100 percent in afterburner and then I see that I am able to get steady 60 fps even in demanding games like ryse.

My questions
1.is it OK to manually set fan speed to max to override throttling. Will it cause damage to gpu. Or is there any other more polished way to overcome throttling

2.is it advisable to install a pci fan opposite to gpu to blow air directly on the gpu for it to such in.

I am new to pc gaming been playing on consoles for twelve years so I will request users to pls be patient if I don't understand

Thanks in advance folks

Well running at 100% fan speed when turned on at all times degrades the fans.
80C is good for a gpu. The card can handle under 95C.
I just leave it on a one to one ratio with temps and fan speed %. This is an aggressive fan profile so it can be noisy imo.

You can put a pci fan but its not necessary. The cooler on the gpu should be sufficient.

When you do something gpu intensive like playing a gpu intensive game like Crysis 3, BF4 etc and the gpu usage is 90-100%. If it is lower, than you not using 100% of your gpu. There may be reason for this such as unoptimized game, thermal throttling or a low demanding game.