Is 970 sli worth the extra money?

Finfin15

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
I play Wow, CSGO, BF4, and many others like it. My question is if I go with 1 asus 970, would it be worth the extra $340 to go with sli? In games like shadow of mordor, will I see a huge difference rather than just overclocking the gpu?

Here are my other specs:
I5 4690k
Asus z97-a
G.Skill sniper (2x4gb)
Rosewill HIVE 750w
WD Blue 1TB
PNY Optima 256GB SSD
Asus STRIX 970

Any thoughts?

Solution
Hard question to answer w/o knowing the resolution .... but this should help

crysis3_1920_1080.gif

crysis3_2560_1600.gif

as for the "rather than just overclocking" .... it's not an either / or .... you can OC the SLI'd cards too..... the Asus Strix won't OC as well as Gigabytes and MSI's. The more demanding games seem to benefit more than others. Increases at 2560 res can range from 60% to 95% tho there's a few games that don't support SLI. It all depends upoin what satisfies you. Some people want 60 fps in all games .... one 970 can't "go there".
Firstly, SLI will not increase performance 2 fold, but rather by 50-60%. The games you mentioned can easily be maxed out by a single card on FHD, you're looking for the extra frames with SLI. I'd get a single GPU first, and I'm pretty sure you'd be happy with it's performance.

SoM does not support SLI, so you won't get any benefit from dual GPU.

Hard question to answer w/o knowing the resolution .... but this should help

crysis3_1920_1080.gif

crysis3_2560_1600.gif

as for the "rather than just overclocking" .... it's not an either / or .... you can OC the SLI'd cards too..... the Asus Strix won't OC as well as Gigabytes and MSI's. The more demanding games seem to benefit more than others. Increases at 2560 res can range from 60% to 95% tho there's a few games that don't support SLI. It all depends upoin what satisfies you. Some people want 60 fps in all games .... one 970 can't "go there".

Solution

Demorthus

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
For the current games you're playing, I don't see getting a second card as a justification if you're not going to run higher resolutions. For a game like Shadow of Mordor you'll be fine with one 970. I have a 780 and it runs buttery smooth with all details maxed and textures at 3GB. This is important to note as the 970 is now a card that's close to the 780 (obviously not surpassing it but this stands to show that if I'm getting great frame rates on a "last gen" card, then you'll do absolutely marvelous on a new gen card) Also, the 970 is the sweet spot for 1080 and MAYBE some 1440p with all details maxed in almost all games.
In short, no. No need for SLI my friend :) just do some overclocking if you feel you want some extra performance! (Plus it's free!)

Eric92

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
Definitely agree with the above statement. I have the MSI 970 and it's a complete powerhouse. It'll run everything you wanna play maxed out and I wouldn't spend that extra cash till you start seeing diminished performance later down the line. That's my plan anyway.