580 GTX SLI - restarts PC when running Furmark burn in test

shatteredhalo

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Recently I've been interested in overclocking my two cards, only to find that they can't even survive a Furmark burn in test at stock speeds! Usually within 3-5 seconds of starting the burn in test, my PC just restarts. It seems to run fine when only testing one card.

Any idea what could cause behavior like this?

*Update with more info*

I have an Intel i7 2600k, currently stock speeds, 8 GB ram running at 1600, stock timings, run by an OCZ Fatality 1000W power supply. I think the 12 volt rail that the CPU and GPU are hooked to has something like 83 AMPS. As far as Furmark being obsolete, I've also tried Heaven, but have found that "Heaven stable" overclocks still crash in game/restart the PC in game, so I'm not really sure what a legitimately effective stress test/benchmark would be.

Solution
Yep, its pointing to the power supply, but you really need to give some more details on your system. Furmark itself goes well beyond real world stress levels, so its not realistic at all. You might still be able to run some normal games, even though Furmark causes problems.

Really though, Furmark is pretty obsolete since Nvidia implemented a limiter into its cards whenever it detects Furmark or OCCT being run on the system. This will throttle back the card's speeds to prevent overheating and damage. All the same, you can see below the difference in power consumption between normal gaming and Furmark with the limiter on and off.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_580_SLI/23.html...
Yep, its pointing to the power supply, but you really need to give some more details on your system. Furmark itself goes well beyond real world stress levels, so its not realistic at all. You might still be able to run some normal games, even though Furmark causes problems.

Really though, Furmark is pretty obsolete since Nvidia implemented a limiter into its cards whenever it detects Furmark or OCCT being run on the system. This will throttle back the card's speeds to prevent overheating and damage. All the same, you can see below the difference in power consumption between normal gaming and Furmark with the limiter on and off.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_580_SLI/23.html
power_average.gif

power_maximum.gif

Solution

shatteredhalo

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014

I have an Intel i7 2600k, currently stock speeds, 8 GB ram running at 1600, stock timings, run by an OCZ Fatality 1000W power supply. I think the 12 volt rail that the CPU and GPU are hooked to has something like 83 AMPS. As far as Furmark being obsolete, I've also tried Heaven, but have found that "Heaven stable" overclocks still crash in game/restart the PC in game, so I'm not really sure what a legitimately effective stress test/benchmark would be.