980 psu connector help

Solution
Ok first of all that PSU is cheap, don't let it blow out all your components. It also cannot supply the 30A minimum recommended output on the 12V rail. I would recommend getting a new power supply, but if you really can't, then you can get adapters for 2 molex connectors to 1 6-pin connector.I believe you can run them on 2 6-pins in the right place, but really you should be getting a new power supply. And not a cheap one, those can be known to cause fires :/

tomr4lph

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
Ok first of all that PSU is cheap, don't let it blow out all your components. It also cannot supply the 30A minimum recommended output on the 12V rail. I would recommend getting a new power supply, but if you really can't, then you can get adapters for 2 molex connectors to 1 6-pin connector.I believe you can run them on 2 6-pins in the right place, but really you should be getting a new power supply. And not a cheap one, those can be known to cause fires :/

Solution

juanrdp

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
There are 2molex to 8pin conectors and 6 pin to 8pin, if you use the 2 Molex and the 6 pin with a 6 pin to 8 pin and have enought power in the rail.

Not the perfect solution but that could work.

Maybe the card could bring the connectors, see if you find some unbox video for that brand.

Check this:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#peripheral

Some video cards come with the 8 pin PCI Express power connector to support higher wattage than the 6 pin PCI Express connectors. It's okay to plug a 6 pin PCI Express power cable into an 8 pin PCI Express connector. It's designed to work that way but will be limited to the lower wattage provided by the 6 pin version of the cable. The 6 pin cable only fits into one end of the 8 pin connector so you can't insert it incorrectly but you can sometimes force the 6 pin cable in the wrong way if you try hard enough. Video cards can sense whether you have plugged a 6 pin or 8 pin cable into an 8 pin connector so the video card can impose some kind of restriction when running with only a 6 pin power cable. Some cards will refuse to run with only a 6 pin cable in an 8 pin socket. Others will work with a 6 pin cable at normal speeds but will not allow overclocking. Check the video card documentation to get the rules. But if you don't have any other information then just assume that if your video card has an 8 pin connector then you must plug in an 8 pin cable.

tomr4lph

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
I would recommend the Corsair CX750M, love that power supply and it is quite cheap, but you don't really need anything that high. I would go with any well known brand name power supply, such as EVGA, Corsair, Antec, XFX, Seasonic etc.