120 or 250 GB SSD for a regular gamer?

beni_rohit

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
hey guys
im a regular gamer
who has about 4-5 games installed at the max at one time
will a 120 GB SSD enough for my os, all apps and games?
or will i have to get a 250GB?

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
It will require about 25GB or so for a WIN7 install and another 10GB for overhead. I have only 1 game installed on a SSD, Rome2:TW. If you've ever played Total War games, it seems the loading time between turns can take an eternity; well, the times seem to drop from 50 sec to 25 or 30 seconds but as for regular gameplay-naah....Don't go thinking you will all of a sudden get blazing frame rates or some other magic from games being on a SSD. You're better off using SSD space for the OS. Photoshop and Excel if you're into those apps.

My 500GB SSD is already about 300GB full of games from Steam, Origin and Battle.net. (Skyrim contributed almost 50GB alone tho' with all the mods).
My 128GB SSD is about 80GB with only Windows 7 pro x64 and all the other non-game programs.

I put games on SSD especially games like Skyrim to reduce loading time.
Loading time appears in Skyrim also quite often, a bit too often if I might say so.
Cuting the loading time in half for each loading time screens is simply just precious.

I must say 120GB is not much, 64GB or less is not to be bought, 250GB is recommendable, above 250GB is up to you.

Edit:
SSD will not add one single fps to your games. FPS is the main job of the GPU and proc.

beni_rohit

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014

the thing is my retailer cheated me into buying a 5400rpm drive
a WD green...which i realised afterwards
that is why im looking to get an SSD
even though ive not had any problems with the couple of games ive played on my build
COD Ghosts was no problem at all
but assassins creed 3 frames dropped to as low as 20-25 from a good 90-100 fps with my i5 4690K and GTX 970
i started a thread in this regard and concluded that it was my HDD causing the problems
and hence im buying an SSD
what do you have to say about this problem?

beni_rohit

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014

so thats what i thought
and since i have to get a new HDD why not get an SSD
and keep the green as a storage drive
doesnt really make a difference whether your storage drive is a 5400 or a 7200 does it?

An SSD is not the factor which influence the frame rate of games, only loading time is effected by SSD.
I have never seen an SSD boosting up the fps compared to before using the SSD.

The frame drop is not caused by he hdd unless the proc is too busy running things which should have been finish before starting the game, since the data transfer to the 5400 rpm hdd during any processes is really slow.

5400rpm HDD sucks, it tortures me always on laptops.
The difference between 5400 to 7200 is noticeable but SSD is still the fastest.