Solved

Properly Switch from ATI to Nvidia

My new Asus Strix GTX 970 came in the mail yesterday, and it is replacing my old XFX 6870.
My question is this: For the driver swap, do I have to do anything above and beyond uninstalling Catalyst Control Center?

This is my first Nvidia card and I want to make sure that I set it up right out of box.

Thanks in advance!
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about properly switch ati nvidia
  1. Best answer
    ATI does not exist anymore. :)

    Uninstall CCC, restart PC, clean your registry with Ccleaner, Install Nvidia drivers.
  2. This will scrub off all trace of old drivers, and prepare your pc for the new card and driver.
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
  3. When swapping between a 7790 and 560Ti I just swapped the cards over and powered up, WDDM1.1 is the Windows component that prevents graphic driver conflicts and it does work in W7 and XP but not Vista.
  4. Mousemonkey said:
    When swapping between a 7790 and 560Ti I just swapped the cards over and powered up, WDDM1.1 is the Windows component that prevents graphic driver conflicts and it does work in W7 and XP but not Vista.


    Still happens sometimes though?
  5. Novuake said:
    Mousemonkey said:
    When swapping between a 7790 and 560Ti I just swapped the cards over and powered up, WDDM1.1 is the Windows component that prevents graphic driver conflicts and it does work in W7 and XP but not Vista.


    Still happens sometimes though?


    Not in my experience no. The problems I have been having with AMD drivers will occur on a clean install of W7 as well as one with Nvidia drivers on so it can't be down to any kind of graphic driver conflict can it?
  6. Mousemonkey said:

    Not in my experience no. The problems I have been having with AMD drivers will occur on a clean install of W7 as well as one with Nvidia drivers on so it can't be down to any kind of graphic driver conflict can it?


    In my experience, never had an issue with a clean instal with CCC, but when moving from Nvidia to AMD, its a pain.
  7. Novuake said:
    Mousemonkey said:

    Not in my experience no. The problems I have been having with AMD drivers will occur on a clean install of W7 as well as one with Nvidia drivers on so it can't be down to any kind of graphic driver conflict can it?


    In my experience, never had an issue with a clean instal with CCC, but when moving from Nvidia to AMD, its a pain.


    I think you must be doing something wrong then as it has always been a straight forward swap for me and at some point I may even go for having an Nvidia card and an AMD card in the same rig at the same time just to freak out those who say it can't be done.
  8. Mousemonkey said:


    I think you must be doing something wrong then as it has always been a straight forward swap for me and at some point I may even go for having an Nvidia card and an AMD card in the same rig at the same time just to freak out those who say it can't be done.


    Not sure what I could possibly be doing wrong. :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Switch Nvidia Graphics ATI