FX-6350 with sabertooth 990FX R2.0

Stefan Bargisen

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
Hey guys.

I have changed some setting in BIOS, I put ratio to 24 at 200 (4,8 ghz) I have upped the voltage to 1,415v. My CPU is watercooled by Corsair H100.
I am currently running prime95, and checking temps with coretemp.

So far it has max reached 65 degrees.

What should I look after, and how much voltage can it max take?
People say stay below 60 degrees, why is that?

Others with the 6350, and how high have you been?

Solution
yes and yes

70C is the absolute max to hit for that vishera chip.

1.5v is safe max.

4.4-4.5 is a good stable overclock for those chips. going any higher than that usually requires more and more voltage.

your sweet spot is probably just a little lower than you are currently at and i would rec that you settle for 4.6-4.7.

pushing things any higher for just a tiny bit more speed is probably not worth it.

I have pushed my i5 2500k over 5.0 just for fun and it took allot of voltage and temps were really high (well over 90C). this was fun just to see what it could do but in the end i lowered back down to the point where voltage was not excessive and heat was reasonable.

fkr

Splendid
yes and yes

70C is the absolute max to hit for that vishera chip.

1.5v is safe max.

4.4-4.5 is a good stable overclock for those chips. going any higher than that usually requires more and more voltage.

your sweet spot is probably just a little lower than you are currently at and i would rec that you settle for 4.6-4.7.

pushing things any higher for just a tiny bit more speed is probably not worth it.

I have pushed my i5 2500k over 5.0 just for fun and it took allot of voltage and temps were really high (well over 90C). this was fun just to see what it could do but in the end i lowered back down to the point where voltage was not excessive and heat was reasonable.

Solution

fkr

Splendid
most games are not CPU bound.

this is why we still see dual cores still working well and also the i3 series.

there are some games that just put real demands on the CPU like rome total war or arma. also MMOs and large multiplayer FPS put some serious demands on the CPU.

So it is really game dependent.

I cannot wait to test out CIV beyond earth later today. these strategy games usually put a serious demand on the CPU. It is for that reason that I bought a better CPU and overclocked it.

fkr

Splendid
I am watching the live stream of the game as it is being released later today

poly Australia release is in 20 minutes

http://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames/

above is the feed and it is going all day long. first play session is over in 15 minutes.

btw the final release of civ 5 with all of the addons runs allot better and added allot of new content. as i became excited for this new game I went and started playing the final release of civ 5 and I was impressed with just how much it was cleaned up.

fkr

Splendid
i went from the original release straight to the final version about 2 weeks ago.

I have watched to live streams of this new game and it has made a ton of new changes lots of new game defining decisions. looks really good