New pc for almost 2000$ turns off without warning! Help!

PCandConsoles

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
I've never seen something like this happen...

So my brother just bought a new PC with a gtx 980 and a i7-4790k processor. The PC has worked totally fine in the last week, he's getting about 100+ fps in BF4 but now after he installed the new drivers for his GPU his PC has turned off several times without warning. He's getting about 10-20 fps in BF4 after the driver update. When he tries to install the driver he had before the pc just turns off without warning (he has windows 8 btw). What can be the cause to this failure? In HWMonitor the temps looks good with 30c on the gpu and 40c on the processor. Its not heat related. His psu is the CoolerMaster GM 650W Modular so has plenty of power for his system.

He's really afraid thats something is wrong with the hardware and so am I because I built the PC. I have a lot of experience with building computers and I'm 100% sure that everything is connected correctly. What the heck is the problem? Everything worked fine after the new driver he installed yesterday!

I appriciate every answer.

Solution
I unchecked the answer for you.

Before we can even do anything else you need to get a quality PSU in the computer. Sorry.

Go and do some reading about PSUs and you will quickly learn that quality matters and numbers do not. That is not even a true 650w unit. It will fail after 500w or so. It is junk.

TheFluffyDog

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
boot in safe mode and you should be able to update drivers there. YOu are running a brnad new gpu and just had brand new drivers installed. Probably driver and gpu having some probs. Also i would upgrade the PSU aswell. I like EVGA and Seasonic.

PCandConsoles

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014

Well we tried but once again, it shuts down in the process of installing the new driver.

PCandConsoles

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014

Temps under load is hovering between 55-60c on the GPU and almost the same on the CPU. So what you're saying is that this PSU is bad and can't handle this system? I can not understand why? It delivers 650W, yes its bronze but it should be able to feed this system with power?

wattage means very little and bronze rating means nothing for quality.

Coolermaster has a history of faking 80+ ratings anyway. The quality of the components in that PSU are sud par at best. It likely cannot actually make 650w. more like 500w with poor ripple and 12v noise as well.

Replace it with a quality PSU ASAP.

I unchecked the answer for you.

Before we can even do anything else you need to get a quality PSU in the computer. Sorry.

Go and do some reading about PSUs and you will quickly learn that quality matters and numbers do not. That is not even a true 650w unit. It will fail after 500w or so. It is junk.

Solution

PCandConsoles

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014

Ok, thanks for your answer and I will take that to considering

williamcummins

Reputable
May 9, 2014
If you reformat the PC, you will delete every existing driver inside the system. After reinstalling windows in your system, try to install a more stable version of the GPU's driver. You might lose all your data stored in your drive, but at least the computer will work...