Is my 2012-built gaming rig outdated? Should I upgrade some parts? Any SUGGESTIONS welcome

jjk1107

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Hello everyone,

A friend built me a gaming rig in late 2012 and so far it has served me proud. Now that two years have passed (and with a little more discretionary income for the foreseeable future), I am wondering whether or not I should upgrade a few parts on my pc. I am not THAT well-versed in components but know enough to get by. Here are my main internals:

MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77
CPU: Ivy Bridge 3770k (OCed to 4.2 Ghz)
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
GPU: MSI N670 PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB
PSU: Corsair HX750
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100
Case: Corsair 500r Carbide White
Hard Drive: couple of SSDs and 1 mechanical hard drive(not important)
Monitor: SAMSUNG B350 Series S24B350HL Transparent Red 23.6" 2ms GTG

I have actually thought of building myself a new rig but I want to see how capable my current rig is in late 2014. I don't play CoD or BF4 so I don't need the utmost max-FPS crazy rig but I would like to play games in good settings. The most visually intensive games I've played recently might be Shadow of Mordor, AC4, Far Cry 3, but I do not think I am playing in 100% true max settings.

I have considered upgrading to the GTX 970 (maybe SLI?) and get a 1440p korean monitor but I am not too sure if that would be a good idea. Might be best to ask the experts here first :)

Much Appreciated.

Solution
Their no reason to upgrade the processor, the small increase can't justify the cost of the processor and motherboard. You also still have some overclocking room.
If the video card stills performs as you wish then no reason to get a new one. If not then getting a 970 would be a big increase and if you change monitors and need more power then add anouther in SLI.
SLI 970's gives killer performance.
For a couple of more years you are fine as-is.

One thing that I suggest is that you OC the i7-3770K further to 4.6 GHz in gradual steps watching the temps. 4.6 is attainable without any drastic rise in temps. On my i7-3770K, 4.6 GHz is the sweet spot and temps are fine.

The ONLY update you need (to play with comfortable ultra FPS or maxing out titles) is better GPU. A single GTX 970 is plenty for your needs, and yes its fine for decent high-ultra FPS on 1440p display. SLI it if you're not happy with a single one (for higher FPS on ultra/maxed out titles on 1440p). But even single 970 would be a significant upgrade from your current card.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Their no reason to upgrade the processor, the small increase can't justify the cost of the processor and motherboard. You also still have some overclocking room.
If the video card stills performs as you wish then no reason to get a new one. If not then getting a 970 would be a big increase and if you change monitors and need more power then add anouther in SLI.
SLI 970's gives killer performance.

Solution