550 or 650W?

SweMan574

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
I'm looking into getting a new PSU. I don't know which one to choose. I got the FX-8350 and GTX 760. I know I only need 550W, but I still want to upgrade to the new generation graphics cards later, do SLI and so on... And I want to save some money to...

So should I get:
XFX ProSeries Core Edition 550W PSU
or
XFX ProSeries Core Edition 650W PSU

What ever I choose, it will be better than my Codegen PSU-350H 600W that I use now, that really SUCKS! (Crashed my computer for playing Bf4 on HIGH....)

Solution
You need a +12V rail rating of 36A for your current system.
The 550W model you have linked is rated at 44A, so this is more than enough.
Both supplies are great quality.

I don't think it is worth trying to get a supply for crossfire unless you are seriously planning on using it.
The 650W model you have linked would be enough for GTX 970 cards in SLI because they are rated at only 145W each, but nothing that would require more power than these.
Two GTX 760 cards in SLI would require a 750W supply (e.g. EVGA Supernova G2 750) and I would still rather have a single GTX 970 which will easily run on a 550W supply.

Edit: The only reason I would go with the 650W power supply is if you expect to upgrade to a graphics card that draws more than...
You need a +12V rail rating of 36A for your current system.
The 550W model you have linked is rated at 44A, so this is more than enough.
Both supplies are great quality.

I don't think it is worth trying to get a supply for crossfire unless you are seriously planning on using it.
The 650W model you have linked would be enough for GTX 970 cards in SLI because they are rated at only 145W each, but nothing that would require more power than these.
Two GTX 760 cards in SLI would require a 750W supply (e.g. EVGA Supernova G2 750) and I would still rather have a single GTX 970 which will easily run on a 550W supply.

Edit: The only reason I would go with the 650W power supply is if you expect to upgrade to a graphics card that draws more than 200W. The best next-gen card currently available is the GTX 980 which uses only 165W. It is likely though that they will produce a higher power card and AMD generally uses more power to produce the same performance.

Solution